Water Cooling Coolant

I've been hearing many bad things about premixed coolant, but I've been using EK clear coolant for a while now and haven't had any issues. Since I will be redoing my loop, I was wondering what coolant I should use. I have UV blue tubing so I don't need colored liquid. I heard that distilled water is the best, but is this the distilled water that people drink or is it something different? I would rather go with normal coolant like the EK or maybe something else if possible

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Ya just normal distilled water. Or i heard (I dont know if it is recommended) But you can just boil water and let it cool and its the same thing. but again, i dont know if its recommended but thats what ive heard.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Ya just normal distilled water. Or i heard (I dont know if it is recommended) But you can just boil water and let it cool and its the same thing. but again, i dont know if its recommended but thats what ive heard.

If you boiled water and let it cool, that's going to have even more contamination.

Distillation is the process of turning water into steam and then condensing it. Not just boiling it.

To the OP.

EK and XSPC coolants are the most problem free coolants out there. Just keep using them. :)

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

If you boiled water and let it cool, that's going to have even more contamination.

Distillation is the process of turning water into steam and then condensing it. Not just boiling it.

To the OP.

EK and XSPC coolants are the most problem free coolants out there. Just keep using them. :)

Thanks for the confirmation, I was wondering why everyone hates coolants from big brands :P Is it just the dyes that are bad?

As i said, Thats just what i heard :p

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

As i said, Thats just what i heard :P

From who?

Thanks for the confirmation, I was wondering why everyone hates coolants from big brands :P Is it just the dyes that are bad?

What big brands? EK and XSPC are big brands. :o

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

From who?

I think it was like life hacker or something, I read it a while ago.

From who?

What big brands? EK and XSPC are big brands. :o

I've read loads of threads where people just say to stay away from any premixed coolant and use distilled instead

distilled water + silver coil is the best solution if you don't care about colours and cheap.

distilled water + silver coil is the best solution if you don't care about colours and cheap.

You still need a corrosion inhibitor. In countries where Coolant costs the same as distilled water coolant is the cheaper option and works just as well.

You still need a corrosion inhibitor. In countries where Coolant costs the same as distilled water coolant is the cheaper option and works just as well.

That's why I said silver coil, you can get them for £5 and last a lifetime. There is no need to buy it from special watercooling shop, you can buy normal distilled/deionised water it from anywhere are works fine.

That's why I said silver coil, you can get them for £5 and last a lifetime. There is no need to buy it from special watercooling shop, you can buy normal distilled/deionised water it from anywhere are works fine.

A silver is anti-microbial (a biocide), A corrosion inhibitor is there to stop corrosion. Different job.

A silver is anti-microbial (a biocide), A corrosion inhibitor is there to stop corrosion. Different job.

Also, I don't think you can use silver with certain blocks. Some manufactures specify that you lose your warranty if you use a silver coil.

My error but why would it be needed if he isn't mixing metals?

My error but why would it be needed if he isn't mixing metals?

Radiators typically have some aluminum/copper/brass in them, fittings can be a different metal, the inside of the pump can be a different metal. You're either going to be very limited in your choice of components or going to have to use a corrosion inhibitor.

Radiators typically have some aluminum/copper/brass in them, fittings can be a different metal, the inside of the pump can be a different metal. You're either going to be very limited in your choice of components or going to have to use a corrosion inhibitor.

Not really, pretty much all watercooling hardware has moved away from using aluminum apart from a few radiators. You don't really need to worry about fittings normally plated brass. No need to use the exact same metal through out your whole loop or be picky about which parts you are using most companies have caught on now. Honestly watercooling has come a long way.

Not really, pretty much all watercooling hardware has moved away from using aluminum apart from a few radiators. You don't really need to worry about fittings normally plated brass. No need to use the exact same metal through out your whole loop or be picky about which parts you are using most companies have caught on now. Honestly watercooling has come a long way.

You can opt to go without it if you want but not spending $5 on a corrosion inhibitor in a >$300 loop is just asking for trouble.

You can opt to go without it if you want but not spending $5 on a corrosion inhibitor in a >$300 loop is just asking for trouble.

So if I use EK coolant I don't have to add anything to it? such as anti corrosion fluids