New CPU and Motherboard

I am planning to upgrade to haswell with a new motherboard and and i5 4670k, My question is that if I will need to perform a OS re-install. I am planning to upgrade from Sandy Bridge and current OS is Windows 8 64-bit "System Builder" Thanks!

I did a motherboard swap with Windows 8 and I did not have to reinstall windows. Windows 8 automatically detected the hardware changes and installed the correct drivers.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

It is highly recommended.  When I have moved my OS to a new motherboard I had bluescreens and other issues every time.  Most of the time it would not even be able to finish booting up.  But, you can always try it first and see what happens.

I did a motherboard swap with Windows 8 and I did not have to reinstall windows. Windows 8 automatically detected the hardware changes and installed the correct drivers.

Where you switching platforms? 

The chipsets and drivers for the motherboard will be different and if you continue to use the old OS you will have some issues. I would do a clean install if I were you to avoid problems.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The chipsets and drivers for the motherboard will be different and if you continue to use the old OS you will have some issues. I would do a clean install if I were you to avoid problems.

Would restoring from a back up (a back up of my current not upgraded computer) on the upgraded computer be fine? 

Where you switching platforms? 

Yup, first from a i7-860 to a i7 2700K w/P67 chipset

Then from P67 to Z77.

have been using it with no problems for quiet a while.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Would restoring from a back up (a back up of my current not upgraded computer) on the upgraded computer be fine? 

Like your user files? Yes you will be fine because it probably doesn't back up any drivers.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer