Looking for a capture card

PercySavageEG

I'm just going to get straight to the point if you guys dont mind.

I have just finished my first custom build (Whoohoo!) and I'm currently looking for a capture card to go along with it.

Here are the features that I'm looking for:

- Able to at least record in 1080p 60fps although higher resolutions or frame rates are good too

- passthrough

- Mac OSX support if possible

- Good colors

- Budget of around $100 - $250 (US)

I had my eye on the BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4k but I was seeing alot of complaints about :

1. It being loud (This I can probably fix with a better heatsink, new fan and Asus's fan control or something)

2. It just not working as expected (This is what I'm worried about)

So should I buy the BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4k or is there a better option out there. Note that Pcie or external doesnt matter, I'm fine with both, I also have Thunderbolt on my computer so I'm fine with cards with that too. Space is also not a problem, I'm more focused on the image quality than anything else.

I'll be using this to record some gameplay to share around with my friends and some footage of the stuff that I'm working on in After Effects here and there but that's about it.

I'm very new to capturing video using a capture card so feel free to give me a lecture if I got something wrong. My computer's specs is in my Signature if anyone wants to see it

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

Why not get a Nvidia card and use shadowplay ?? or a high-end AMD card and use GVR ?

off topic but fucking black magic pixelating 1080p doesn't help your point at all.

football.jpg

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Why not get a Nvidia card and use shadowplay ?? or a high-end AMD card and use GVR ?

off topic but fucking black magic pixelating 1080p doesn't help your point at all.

football.jpg

I have a GTX 970 so ShadowPlay is an option. I probably look very stupid for asking this but what are the advantages and disadvantages of using software to capture instead of hardware?

The Intensity Pro 4k is just the first thing that caught my eyes, as I said I dont have experience with capture devices so I was really just looking for you guys' opinion on what to buy -_-

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

football.jpg

Shadowplay is a great option because it has very little performance hit due to using some dedicated hardware. And it is free.

I'm probably going to use ShadowPlay for now but I still want to ask whether the Intensity Pro 4k is a choice as ShadowPlay seems to only record with H.264 while the Intensity card does Prores which might be handy if I ever edit the footage. Some users reported the card as being useless and unuseable though so I'm not really sure what to think.

| --- My Stuff --- |

I have a GTX 970 so ShadowPlay is an option. I probably look very stupid for asking this but what are the advantages and disadvantages of using software to capture instead of hardware?

The Intensity Pro 4k is just the first thing that caught my eyes, as I said I dont have experience with capture devices so I was really just looking for you guys' opinion on what to buy -_-

Advantages as far I can see for shadowplay is 0-3 FPS performance hit, and it's freaking free.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Advantages as far I can see for shadowplay is 0-3 FPS performance hit, and it's freaking free.

I guess I can't argue with that xD

| --- My Stuff --- |