Which MacBook for ios software developement

kristofk

Ho guys,

I am about to buy a new mac for ios programming but i don't know which. I dont like the new MacBook and i don't think it would be enought. The new 13in MacBook pro is wat I think i going to buy but i dont know which modell is the least recommended. Is the low end modell enought for coding, simulating an iphone and web brwsing at the same time?

I still use my 2008 Macbook (non pro) with 2GB of RAM for iOS stuff and besides the resolution it works fine. Anything you buy should be more than enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Macbook air 13" or any Macbook pro(13" or 15"). The ram is probably not really super important for this(This might depend on the type of apps that you want to make). I have a mac mini with 4GB ram and a Macbook Pro 13" with 4GB ram and both of them work perfectly for iOS and OS X development.

If you're running vms, something with at least moderate balls.

do apple let you test apps out on the phone? with android you can set up your phone as the test environment over ADB.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

do apple let you test apps out on the phone? with android you can set up your phone as the test environment over ADB.

If you pay for a developer account, yes.

• 2 weeks later...

With Xcode 7 I believe that you can test on the device without having a developer account. I think you just need to login with your apple id

The 13 inch Retina Macbook Pro works great for my programming needs (i5) on both Xcode and Android Studio. The emulator performance is very good for both iOS and Android devices. Also starting out with Xcode 7 you don't need to pay to test your apps on the devices you own. The beta is actually out right now for free. 

https://developer.apple.com/xcode/

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

I'm a programming student and want to get involved with iOS development, so naturally I will need a Mac of some sort to do this. Just for future proofing reason I would get a 13 inch MBP with 16gb RAM and 256 SSD. That should be enough to get anybody through for a while for any kind of work.