First build - high end gaming PC

Hi all,

I am planning on building a powerful gaming PC that will hopefully serve me well for the next 3-4 years. I have been gaming on a laptop for the past 5 years and this will be my first build. 

I am very new to building PCs and so treat me like a noob.

1. Budget & Location - $4,600 (AUD) and I am open to increasing the budget for significantly better performance. I will be building the system in Melbourne, Australia.

2. Aim - I want the system to be capable of handling all the current and near future AAA games at the maximum possible settings (ultra?) at 2K resolution. So this includes Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, Battlefield 4 etc. I also tend to have multiple applications running simultaneously (chrome with many tabs), music, spreadsheets, a game etc.

3. Monitors - When first building the system, I will use one monitor, but intend on getting a second one in the future. The monitor will have a 2K (1440p) resolution, 144 Hz refresh rate and be an IPS or PLS panel. I am fairly certain that I am going to go with the Acer Predator XB270HU 27 inch monitor, unless something better comes out in the next 4-6 months.

4. Peripherals - I will also need to purchase a keyboard, mouse and windows operating system. I am planning on purchasing a Corsair Gaming K70 (cherry MX blue switches), relatively inexpensive mouse and windows 8.1 (64-bit) operating system. No speakers are necessary as I have a pair of headphones that I am happy with.

5. Why are you upgrading? - As I mentioned earlier, this will be my first build as my current laptop is really showing its age.

I would like my CPU and GPU to be as future-proof as possible (neither one should be a bottle-neck).

CPU: I would like an intel CPU, but I am not entirely sure how to chose the "most powerful" one for my needs. At the moment, I am considering the Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor.

GPU: At the moment, I would prefer a single GPU solution (I am pretty set on the Nvidia GTX Titan X). However, I see that PC Case Gear has an EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X Superclocked 12GB and an EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (or the Ausus, Gigabyte variants). Is there an advantage to getting the superclocked version, and is one particular manufacturer (Asus/ Gigabyte/ EVGA) better than the others? 

I might get more GTX Titan X's in the future, so an SLI capable motherboard would be good.

Cooling: Will the above setup require water cooling? I  would like to get a separate fan for the CPU and the GPU, if that is possible. At the moment, I am considering a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 for the CPU. Is it possible to get a dedicated cooler for the GPU, and is it recommended? 

Noise is not really an issue for me as I use headphones when gaming. I would not mind a relatively quite system, but would prefer a more noisy, but cooler system. 

Motherboard: I am not sure how to go about making this decision. I want a board that offers SLI, good cooling options and good cable management. I would also like a good on-board sound card, if that's possible. My current choice is the MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard.

Memory: I was thinking that 16gb should be enough. Is it worth getting 32 gb at the moment? Also, is there something I need to be looking for when selecting ram?

Storage: I would like to have the OS and other key files on an SSD and games, media on the fastest possible mechanical hard drives.

Case: The looks are not a big concern for me. Best possible cooling and cable management are top priorities here.

Power supply: Since I might add another GTX Titan X in the future, I was considering the Cooler Master V850 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply.

Optical Drive: Blu-ray drive and dvd drive. Am I correct in assuming that a blu-ray drive will play regular dvds and cds too?

Overclocking: In terms of overclocking, I have no experience so far. I would, however, be open to learning to overclock and wouldn't mind a GPU and CPU that overclock well.

Sound card: I'm not exactly an audiophile and was wondering if I needed to purchase a separate sound card.

Wired/ Wireless network adapters: Is it necessary to purchase one for being able to use wifi/ internet on the computer?

Finally, are there any first time builder mistakes that I should know of? Any parts that I am missing?

The following is my current build: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/QHnf4D

Are there any compatibility issues with this build?

Thank you all for reading this. I apologise for the long message, but I wanted to provide as much detail as possible.

As for the TitanXs, they're all basically the same. They are all reference design - just a different box.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

That looks like a very good build to me all though I would get slli 980's instead.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

That looks like a very good build to me all though I would get slli 980's instead.

Cheers. Based on my research, a single GPU solution is usually a better choice as it doesn't rely on the game having good SLI support. Am I right in my logic?

Are there any particular reasons you would chose SLI 980s? Do SLI 980s give better significantly fps in most games?

Cheers. Based on my research, a single GPU solution is usually a better choice as it doesn't rely on the game having good SLI support. Am I right in my logic?

Are there any particular reasons you would chose SLI 980s? Do SLI 980s give better significantly fps in most games?

Sli 980's do give better performance all do if in the future you can upgrade to a second titan then I would get the titan.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

As for the TitanXs, they're all basically the same. They are all reference design - just a different box.

I see. Does the higher base clock of the superclocked EVGA provide better fps in games? Also, do all of them provide equally good overclocking performance? Thanks :)

Sli 980's do give better performance all do if in the future you can upgrade to a second titan then I would get the titan.

Cool. Yeah, I reckon I might pick up a used Titan X at some point in the future (probably when upgrading to a 4K ready setup). Thanks for the reply :)

Cool. Yeah, I reckon I might pick up a used Titan X at some point in the future (probably when upgrading to a 4K ready setup). Thanks for the reply :)

You will probably be able to pick one up when the 980ti comes out, if it ever does happen and it's better that the titan.

There is nothing future-proof in the world of technology.

Brb with a build.

EDIT: pretty good build though you could go with cheaper ram.

You're right on the future-proofing point. I should have phrased it better. 

Does the lower speed (DDR3-1600) of the G.Skill Ripjaws X Series ($159) ram when compared to the (DDR3-1866) speed of the current Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($199) make it worse? Thanks :)

You will probably be able to pick one up when the 980ti comes out, if it ever does happen and it's better that the titan.

Interesting, I was not aware that a 980ti was in the works. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that.

HOLY BALLS I DID MATH THINGS.  OK, so your budget is 3680 USD (one AUD is 0.8 USD).  This will literally be a dream setup, but you need to know that nothing is perfectly future proof in the world of tech (imagine if PCIe got replaced with a new standard tomorrow, imagine the chaos).  If you are gaming at 2K, you don't really need this much money on a build, but here we go.  Also, are you ONLY gaming?

CPU: if you are pouring this much money into a build, let's just get you a 5960X (LOL): http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-5960X-Haswell-E-Processor-BX80648I75960X/dp/B00MMLXIHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431882505&sr=8-1&keywords=5960X+processor

GPU: That's a really expensive Titan X, get Asus's instead and just OC it: http://www.amazon.com/GeForce-Graphics-384-Bit-Express-GTXTITANX-12GD5/dp/B00V7C9N26/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431882607&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Asus+titanx

Mobo: Going for that stealth black aesthetic on this X99 MSI board, but you might change my parts up if you don't like that color scheme: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Motherboards-X99A-SLI-PLUS/dp/B00UN7AWOY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431882698&sr=8-2&keywords=X99+Motherboard

RAM: Because of the X99 board's DDR4 support, let's grab some of that sexy all-black DDR4: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-PC4-21300-2666MHz-CMK16GX4M4A2666C16/dp/B00NMJJXU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431882794&sr=8-1&keywords=DDR4+ram

Storage:  I approve of your choice of an SSD and HDD.  Well done there, m8.

Case: Continuing my black aesthetic choice, let's grab a define r5: http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-Define-Gaming-FDCADEFR5BKW/dp/B00QMVKVAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431883000&sr=8-1&keywords=fractal+design+define+r5+with+window.

PSU:  You chose a decent PSU, but for future upgrades (especially another power-hungry titan x), you might want to get 1000 watts, like the PSU here: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-80PLUS-Gold-Certified-Power-Supply/dp/B00EB7UIZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431883069&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+1000+watt+psu

Monitor: I personally would go for a nice Ultrawide like this one.  it's a bit more expensive, but the immersion is good, without the performance hit of 3 4K monitors: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-34-Inch-LED-Lit-34UC97-S/dp/B00OKSEWL6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431883246&sr=1-1&keywords=LG+34UC97

Peripherals: Make sure you figure out which Cherry MX switches you would like before buying a keyboard.

I see. Does the higher base clock of the superclocked EVGA provide better fps in games? Also, do all of them provide equally good overclocking performance? Thanks :)

NOTE: The factory overclock is cool, but you can literally do the same thing with MSI afterburner at home, which doesn't justify the extra 500 dollars you could build a HTTV with.

You're right on the future-proofing point. I should have phrased it better. 

Does the lower speed (DDR3-1600) of the G.Skill Ripjaws X Series ($159) ram when compared to the (DDR3-1866) speed of the current Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($199) make it worse? Thanks :)

If you are gaming, DDR3 is fine at 1600.  I would go for DDR4 if you are in this budget tho.

Interesting, I was not aware that a 980ti was in the works. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that.

It may not be happening but quite a lot of people are saying it will be happening.

I looked at some of the reviews of the MSI z97 krait edition, and it is really more of a budget option, and actually produced slightly less frames in games than other higher end 1150 motherboards. If you really want white and have the budget go for the asus sabertooth z97 serbanco.

HOLY BALLS I DID MATH THINGS.  OK, so your budget is 3680 USD (one AUD is 0.8 USD).  This will literally be a dream setup, but you need to know that nothing is perfectly future proof in the world of tech (imagine if PCIe got replaced with a new standard tomorrow, imagine the chaos).  If you are gaming at 2K, you don't really need this much money on a build, but here we go.  Also, are you ONLY gaming?

CPU: if you are pouring this much money into a build, let's just get you a 5960X (LOL): http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-5960X-Haswell-E-Processor-BX80648I75960X/dp/B00MMLXIHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431882505&sr=8-1&keywords=5960X+processor

GPU: That's a really expensive Titan X, get Asus's instead and just OC it: http://www.amazon.com/GeForce-Graphics-384-Bit-Express-GTXTITANX-12GD5/dp/B00V7C9N26/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431882607&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Asus+titanx

Mobo: Going for that stealth black aesthetic on this X99 MSI board, but you might change my parts up if you don't like that color scheme: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Motherboards-X99A-SLI-PLUS/dp/B00UN7AWOY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431882698&sr=8-2&keywords=X99+Motherboard

RAM: Because of the X99 board's DDR4 support, let's grab some of that sexy all-black DDR4: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-PC4-21300-2666MHz-CMK16GX4M4A2666C16/dp/B00NMJJXU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431882794&sr=8-1&keywords=DDR4+ram

Storage:  I approve of your choice of an SSD and HDD.  Well done there, m8.

Case: Continuing my black aesthetic choice, let's grab a define r5: http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-Define-Gaming-FDCADEFR5BKW/dp/B00QMVKVAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431883000&sr=8-1&keywords=fractal+design+define+r5+with+window.

PSU:  You chose a decent PSU, but for future upgrades (especially another power-hungry titan x), you might want to get 1000 watts, like the PSU here: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-80PLUS-Gold-Certified-Power-Supply/dp/B00EB7UIZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431883069&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+1000+watt+psu

Monitor: I personally would go for a nice Ultrawide like this one.  it's a bit more expensive, but the immersion is good, without the performance hit of 3 4K monitors: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-34-Inch-LED-Lit-34UC97-S/dp/B00OKSEWL6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431883246&sr=1-1&keywords=LG+34UC97

Peripherals: Make sure you figure out which Cherry MX switches you would like before buying a keyboard.

NOTE: The factory overclock is cool, but you can literally do the same thing with MSI afterburner at home, which doesn't justify the extra 500 dollars you could build a HTTV with.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Unfortunately, last time I checked, Amazon doesn't ship pretty much anything other than books to Australia :(

Lol that CPU is way over my budget. I'm guessing that it is a much more powerful CPU? Do you know of a good link on how to make sense of CPU specifications? Thanks.

I would love to chose the GPU you suggested, but the prices in Australia are much higher (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=193_1746).

That is one gorgeous motherboard. I'll have to see if I can find it in Australia.

I shall try to get my hands on DDR4 ram.

The Fractal Define R5 looks slick. Thanks for that! I might just get a 1000W power supply, like you've suggested.

In regard to the cheery MX switches, I have tried all of them and wouldn't mind brown or blue switches.

Thanks for the reply :)

Edit: I want a 2K monitor that has a 144 Hz refresh rate, is an IPS panel and is Gsync enabled. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

I looked at some of the reviews of the MSI z97 krait edition, and it is really more of a budget option, and actually produced slightly less frames in games than other higher end 1150 motherboards. If you really want white and have the budget go for the asus sabertooth z97 serbanco.

Hmm, that's interesting. Do you happen to have a link about this review? And the white colour was not really a consideration. It just happened to be white.

Do you have any suggestions for Z97 motherboards that cost under $200 (AUD)? Thanks.

Here is my suggestion build.  Most of the reasons for going with the specific parts have been gone over already in the thread.

The total is $175 AUD over budget.

Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Krait ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($355.00 @ IJK) 
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($255.00 @ Umart) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($485.00 @ CPL Online) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card  ($1559.00 @ Umart) 
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($56.00 @ CPL Online) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($125.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Monitor: Acer XG270HU 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($699.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($175.00 @ Centre Com) 
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($49.00 @ CPL Online) 
Total: $4775.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-18 03:47 AEST+1000

If you plan to add a second Titan-X I would change to a higher output PSU: $251 AUD over budget.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card  ($1559.00 @ Umart) 
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($56.00 @ CPL Online) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($125.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Total: $4851.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-18 03:53 AEST+1000

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Unfortunately, last time I checked, Amazon doesn't ship pretty much anything other than books to Australia :(

Lol that CPU is way over my budget. I'm guessing that it is a much more powerful CPU? Do you know of a good link on how to make sense of CPU specifications? Thanks.

I would love to chose the GPU you suggested, but the prices in Australia are much higher (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=193_1746).

That is one gorgeous motherboard. I'll have to see if I can find it in Australia.

I shall try to get my hands on DDR4 ram.

The Fractal Define R5 looks slick. Thanks for that! I might just get a 1000W power supply, like you've suggested.

In regard to the cheery MX switches, I have tried all of them and wouldn't mind brown or blue switches.

Thanks for the reply :)

Edit: I want a 2K monitor that has a 144 Hz refresh rate, is an IPS panel and is Gsync enabled. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

The 5960X is basically bridging the gap between Xeons and core series processors.  It is an 8-core beast with hyperthreading, a ton of PCIe lanes, and every intel feature available.

If I was you, I would have someone living elsewhere (Canada or U.S.) who is your friend buy the parts for you so you can A. get them shipped to you, and B. save 500 dollars on the Titan X.

Also, I think the extra cost may be due in part to currency differences, although probably not entirely.

If you don't want the 5960X, but you still want that sexy X99 board, you could get the 5820K or 5830K.  They go, respectively, for 473 AUD and 706 AUD (but those are amazon prices :/)

This is my basic rundown of CPU specs:

clockspeed (measured in Hz, often shown as Ghz): how many calculations each core on a CPU can perform per second

Core:  The processor that makes the actual mathematical equations

Cache: the amount of temporary memory the CPU has

Hyperthreading (intel): essentially doubles the amount of total cores you will have.

Gaming is lightly threaded, to 4 cores is considered a sweet spot, esp. with hyper threading.  Heavy stuff like rendering and editing likes more low clockspeed and low voltage cores.

You would need a Z97 MOBO with an LGA 1150 chipset if you want to get a 4790K or 4770K.  However, those, only have 16 PCIe lanes, so if you got two GPUs, they would be running in 8x instead of 16x speed.  Don't worry about this too much, however, linus proved this doesn't kill performance too much

Here is my suggestion build.  Most of the reasons for going with the specific parts have been gone over already in the thread.

Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.00 @ PLE Computers) 

If you plan to add a second Titan-X I would change to a higher output PSU: $251 AUD over budget.

Hope it helps.

I approve.  This looks like an amazing build.

I actually run a lot of my programs and games on my MSI laptop, just because I move around a lot.  I only use my desktop when at home.  TBH, my laptop is pretty baller, but desktops are amazing (because it is really really really really hard to build laptops now).

Hmm, that's interesting. Do you happen to have a link about this review? And the white colour was not really a consideration. It just happened to be white.

Do you have any suggestions for Z97 motherboards that cost under $200 (AUD)? Thanks.

Here is the review I was looking at, you can find others as well. Its not that its bad or anything, its just more of a budget option and you may get 1-2 fps more with another board, and if you have a titan X, why go budget?

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_z97_sli_krait_motherboard_review/2

Hope it helps.

Thanks for both of the detailed builds and user friendly layout with links.

In regard to the CPU choice, I was wondering why you chose the  i7-5820K (6 cores with a lower base clock of 3.3 GHz) over the i7-4790K (4 cores and 4.0 GHz base clock). Do the 2 extra cores actually increase the FPS in games? Strictly in terms of gaming, doesn't the i7-4790K provide more FPS? 

The primary use of the computer will be gaming, so higher fps will be the top priority. 

Also, the monitor you have suggested has a 1440p resolution and 144 Hz refresh rate, but is a TN panel. It is $200 AUD cheaper, but I am keen on having an IPS panel (the IPS equivalent by Acer is $999 AUD).

Other than that, I am quite happy with all the other components. Thanks again, and it really did help  :)

EDIT: I am not familiar with overclocking, so I would prefer a CPU and GPU that can run current AAA games in 1440p at ultra/ max settings out of the box.

I actually run a lot of my programs and games on my MSI laptop, just because I move around a lot.  I only use my desktop when at home.  TBH, my laptop is pretty baller, but desktops are amazing (because it is really really really really hard to build laptops now).

I see. Yeah, I use a different laptop for work and want to separate my work from my gaming. That is why I want to build a gaming focused PC :)