SLI 260 Issue

Torey

I have two GTX 260's which for a while worked fine and upped performance gains by quite a bit and just randomly my second GPU spiked to 100 degrees and froze my system, this has happened like 3-4 times over the past week so I decided to take it out, I'm not sure what is causing it to be fine one moment and then spike the next, somedays I would play a game for 3-4 hours fine then the next 20 minutes on and it would do that. I thought it was my CPU causing the issue until I caught afterburner showing it at 99 and I know most any card shuts it self off or basically freezes at 100. I guess It might be dying but I dont know, im going to try applying new thermal paste but i mean when it runs fine, it runs at like 50-60 so kind of doubt its that. anyone else haver any ideas?

Alright so i took it apart and it has tons of the cloth thermal pads that are just like super messedup, would it be ok to remove thoe and just put thermal paste their instead?

So heres a pic of the thermal pads

rDEpfrp.jpg

The thermal paste on the chip itself looks pretty bad, reapply it and replace the thermal pads, you should be getting way better temps after doing that.

Yeah so far so good, I took everything off and applied thermal paste to it and I mean the temps aren't that much better from when it ran normal, but it hasn't spiked yet so I'm guessing it fixed something.

• 4 years later...
On 2/1/2013 at 7:24 AM, Torey said:

I have two GTX 260's which for a while worked fine and upped performance gains by quite a bit and just randomly my second GPU spiked to 100 degrees and froze my system, this has happened like 3-4 times over the past week so I decided to take it out, I'm not sure what is causing it to be fine one moment and then spike the next, somedays I would play a game for 3-4 hours fine then the next 20 minutes on and it would do that. I thought it was my CPU causing the issue until I caught afterburner showing it at 99 and I know most any card shuts it self off or basically freezes at 100. I guess It might be dying but I dont know, im going to try applying new thermal paste but i mean when it runs fine, it runs at like 50-60 so kind of doubt its that. anyone else haver any ideas?

Alright so i took it apart and it has tons of the cloth thermal pads that are just like super messedup, would it be ok to remove thoe and just put thermal paste their instead?

it may be a bad sensor

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200