Taming the Beast

I'm currently running a system with 13 system fans.

U WOT M8!?

Well, down under it gets to 45*C and above during the summer months - however it is currently winter for us here, and I'm after solutions to turn my rig (code name: Tempest) into more of a squell in the dB department.

Currently employing varieties of conditioning the whiner, including;

Fan controller (with all the curves)

Noise dampening foam

AIO 280mm loop

Fan in-line silencers

Currently, temps are around 30*C on the Haswell-E 5930k CPU, but much more on GPU reaching to around 40*C (on idle).

This is with 2*140mm fans on my radiator as well as 2*120mm fans for intakes - although causing some negative air pressure.

I've been looking at setting up a small custom loop for the CPU, as well as altering the stock fan curves on the GPU - with the idea of running a little quieter, but with the ability to vary between the seasons.

Basically, I need an almost silent system during winter that's capable of massive cooling during summer.

As custom water loops are indisputably the most tailor-made solution to cooling, I am searching for tips on how to get a loop that can be as quiet as a mouse but also have the ability to demolish heat when needed. I've also noticed the GPU temps being the first point needing thermal improvement, however blocks are expensive for a component I may well be swapping out in the future.