Home Network Makeover

Arnold_Palmer

So my home wifi is poop.

I'm still using the router/switch/wireless access point combo that my ISP leases to me. Here is the pretty much the unit that I currently have (except mine is 802.11g, not even 802.11n): http://www.actiontec.com/215.html

My question is this: can I upgrade my wireless access point to something like this and still use my current unit as just a router/switch?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Yes, you would want to disable the antennas on the router and use the AP to provide the wireless signal. Although I would get a seperate modem (if the router has a modem built in, and if your ISP is willing to activate a third party modem) because an older router will not be able to process as many packets, and it may not even support gigabit LAN which is important even if you don't have very much bandwidth, especially if you have a NAS or music/video server.

Optimal: modem>router>AP

Meh: modem/router>AP

Bad: modem/router/AP

This only applies if the combo is given by a ISP or it is of poor quality. There are great routers/AP units, but if it is provided by the ISP it will probably be low quality. So I would try to get as modular as possible to shrink the number of ISP provided hardware.

Yes, just turn DHCP off (on the new router)/put the new router in bridged mode and you'll be good to go.

Yep you sure can. Just disable the wireless features of the combo unit your ISP gave you.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ