Mismatching Memory Question

I currently have 8GB of corsair vengeance ram (2*4GB) and i'm thinking of upgrading either to 16GB with another 2*4GB or upgrading to 24GB with a 2*8GB sticks. My question is, can i mismatch ram like that. So have 2*4GB sticks and 2*8GB sticks for a total of 24GB?  

I currently have 8GB of corsair vengeance ram (2*4GB) and i'm thinking of upgrading either to 16GB with another 2*4GB or upgrading to 24GB with a 2*8GB sticks. My question is, can i mismatch ram like that. So have 2*4GB sticks and 2*8GB sticks for a total of 24GB?  

You can do it, but its not recommended. My recommendation is to get a brand new 2x8GB set for a total of 16GB. a 4x4GB kit can cause stability issues for the memory controller on your motherboard

. a 4x4GB kit can cause stability issues for the memory controller on your motherboard

Since when?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Since when?

since always, 4 sticks always puts more strain on the memory controller

since always, 4 sticks always puts more strain on the memory controller

Something that's built for it. Something that is tested, and designed to live up to that pressure.

Using all four dimms is fine. Its absolutely fine. Intel designed it that way for a reason.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

So if i buy another 8GB i should be fine? As long as its the same timing and frequency. Because honestly one of the reasons im upgrading is to have a black and red colour scheme for the ram, and im also pushing my limit with my chrome tabs as well. So from what ive been reading it should be okay?... just not advised. 

So if i buy another 8GB i should be fine? As long as its the same timing and frequency. Because honestly one of the reasons im upgrading is to have a black and red colour scheme for the ram, and im also pushing my limit with my chrome tabs as well. So from what ive been reading it should be okay?... just not advised.

Most of the time, buying ram with the same frequency and latency will just work together, and downclock to the slower kits speed. I would go for a new kit and add it onto yours.

Spoiler

Most of the time, buying ram with the same frequency and latency will just work together, and downclock to the slower kits speed. I would go for a new kit and add it onto yours.

Okay thank you  :) 

Okay thank you :)

No problem. Have a good day, sir.

Spoiler