New SSD, what do I do with stuff on HDD?

Fgtfv567

I posted something similar to OS and software, but I haven't gotten a lot of help besides one person, so sorry, but I need repost it here.

So I just got a 120 GB SSD, I want to reinstall Windows on the SSD and keep EVERYTHING that was on the HDD before the upgrade and LEAVE IT THERE. I am VERY strict about this. I have used up 507 GB of my HDD, and again, my SSD is 120 GB so cloning IS NOT AN OPTION. I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT TRY CLONING MY ENTIRE HDD.

So? What do I do?

My idea was to

1. Back up EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE OS to an Ext drive
  2. Install Windows on the SSD
  3. Wipe the HDD
  4. Move everything on the Ext drive to the Int HDD

Is there an easier way to do this? I know it's a bad idea, but maybe not have a backup?

I heard if I just reinstall the OS to the SSD, and have all my programs on the HDD, that I'd need to reinstall all my programs on new OS, but I need to leave it all on the HDD due to space. This would be MUCH more preferable, as my parents probably aren't going to be willing to buy a backup drive

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

You can do it however you want to do it and however it works for you.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I would install a fresh copy of the operating system onto the SSD. Then I would delete the "Windows" folder from the hard drive and any other files that are associated with the old copy of Windows. To do this, you would need to take ownership of the folder. Here is how you do that exactly:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

I'd say first install windows on ssd, without your hdd, then connect it and wipe out the windows files that was there

If it was me and I didn't have an external drive I'd unplug the HDD, plug in the SSD and install Windows. Then plug the HDD back in and partition it. Pretend this new partition on the HDD is a "backup drive" and then move everything you want to it - then wipe the old partition of the HDD. Then take that newly wiped partition and add it back to the "external drive" partition and you're set!

I would install a fresh copy of the operating system onto the SSD. Then I would delete the "Windows" folder from the hard drive and any other files that are associated with the old copy of Windows. To do this, you would need to take ownership of the folder. Here is how you do that exactly:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

This bold bit is exactly what I wanted to do, but people have said that Windows on the SSD wouldn't recognize all the programs and files on the HDD. Is this true? Do all my games, programs, and other files show up on Windows on the SSD?

Edit: About the ownership thing, I have only one user on this PC, it's me and it's admin. Does that mean I take ownership of all my files that I have?

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

This bold bit is exactly what I wanted to do, but people have said that Windows on the SSD wouldn't recognize all the programs and files on the HDD. Is this true? Do all my games, programs, and other files show up on Windows on the SSD?

I am not quite sure what you mean. Windows will surely recognize the HDD and you will be able to make changes to that drive. I would not promise that this method will be successful, but this is what I would try if I was in that situation. Just wait a bit, I am sure there are other people who may have done something similar before. 

EDIT

Fgtfv567, on 10 May 2015 - 12:54 AM, said:

snapback.png

Edit: About the ownership thing, I have only one user on this PC, it's me and it's admin. Does that mean I take ownership of all my files that I have?

No, I think you would still need to take ownership of the files that belongs to the old copy of Windows because it would be restricted to the system user of that particular install as far as I know.

No, I think you would still need to take ownership of the files that belongs to the old copy of Windows because it would be restricted to the system user of that particular install as far as I know.

Sorry for double post.

I am not quite sure what you mean. Windows will surely recognize the HDD and you will be able to make changes to that drive. I would not promise that this method will be successful, but this is what I would try if I was in that situation. Just wait a bit, I am sure there are other people who may have done something similar before. 

EDIT

Fgtfv567, on 10 May 2015 - 12:54 AM, said:

snapback.png

This is exactly what I mean:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/363719-what-do-i-do-with-my-programs-after-a-new-ssd-boot-drive/?p=4927720

Goddamn, not showing me the right post, anyway, it's post #2

You wouldn't need to move anything. Windows will recognize everything.

So when I install Windows on the SSD, and plug in the HDD back, I can just recreate all my desktop shortcuts and instantly launch whatever is on my HDD like my steam games without any further tweaking or fiddling?

Hooray, but I'd like other people to confirm this before I try it

(Nothing personal, just need confirmation, after all, I have no backups...)

Yea, you should wait for other people, too, especially because I haven't done something like this before

Edit: I am not sure if I will select the format option. Wouldn't that delete everything? lol

Yea, you should wait for other people, too, especially because I haven't done something like this before

Edit: I am not sure if I will select the format option. Wouldn't that delete everything? lol

I think it means which format the drive runs in like NTFS

I think it means which format the drive runs in like NTFS

Hmm... But I am not sure if it is possible to change the format of a partition without deleting the files in it. Anyway let's see what others have to say