Wireless Problems Solved

My internet was fine a while ago but when I came back inside from being outside for an hour my phone wasn't receiving service to load my web pages. I thought it was my iPhone so I turned it off and on and still no internet. I unfortunately use one of those generic AT&T router/wireless combo units. All the status LEDs are green at this point. I unplug it for five minutes, eat a banana and return to plug it. It powers on and everything seems fine until the LED labeled service turns red. So at this point I only have internet on my 4g connection and I need my service back as I have a job that requires me to use the internet daily. Can someone please help me figure out what to do to fix it? I looked up the manual and found that this meant

Red = Device attempted to become IP con- nected and failed (no DHCP response, no PPPoE response, 802.1x authen- tication failed, no IP address from IPCP, etc.). The Red state times out after two min- utes and the Service indica- tor light returns to the Off state.

The device is an AT&T Arris NVG510 provided by my ISP when we upgraded our internet.

I have no idea where to begin. I'm a complete noob to networking.

UPDATE: I came home later today to see my internet service returned to normal. This hasn't happened before and I'm just curious as what to see what exactly was the problem. The unit was just left on the entire day with nothing being done to it. Is there any explanation?

No, no you may not.

Of course you may, what is the problem and what did you try.

Also this belongs in troubleshooting section if I am not mistaken :P

My internet was fine a while ago but when I came back inside from being outside for an hour my phone wasn't receiving service to load my web pages. I thought it was my iPhone so I turned it off and on and still no internet. I unfortunately use one of those generic AT&T router/wireless combo units. All the status LEDs are green at this point. I unplug it for five minutes, eat a banana and return to plug it. It powers on and everything seems fine until the LED labeled service turns red. So at this point I only have internet on my 4g connection and I need my service back as I have a job that requires me to use the internet daily. Can someone please help me figure out what to do to fix it? I looked up the manual and found that this meant

Red = Device attempted to become IP con- nected and failed (no DHCP response, no PPPoE response, 802.1x authen- tication failed, no IP address from IPCP, etc.). The Red state times out after two min- utes and the Service indica- tor light returns to the Off state.

The device is an AT&T Arris NVG510 provided by my ISP when we upgraded our internet.

I have no idea where to begin. I'm a complete noob to networking.

Please follow your posts.

I think the first thing to mention is that everyone here is going to recomend that even when this problem is fixed, to go out and buy your own router, as most of us find the bundled ones absolute crap.

Secondly, do you have any computer with a direct hardwired connection you can check/ do debugging with?

I think the first thing to mention is that everyone here is going to recomend that even when this problem is fixed, to go out and buy your own router, as most of us find the bundled ones absolute crap.

Secondly, do you have any computer with a direct hardwired connection you can check/ do debugging with?

Yes I have a wired connection and I understand the need for a better router, but is there any way I could do this without purchasing something? I need my internet back as soon as possible.

Yes I have a wired connection and I understand the need for a better router, but is there any way I could do this without purchasing something? I need my internet back as soon as possible.

Is the wired connection working? If so the problem would seem to be in the wifi section (hardware, or software) if not it would seem to be either a problem with the isp, or the modem