Intel i7 3770K temperature for overclocking

Hey there!

I have a question:

I overclocked my cpu (3770k) today till 4.6gHz, it's 'stable' till now, I've been testing it with prime95 for the last 2 hours.

I will let it run for another 22 hours at least. My point of concern is that the temperatures are around 85/90 degrees celcius.

Max temps are: 88, 91, 89, 84. (4 cores), but that's only when prime95 is running. The temperatures of when I'm gaming are around 40 degrees.

Question: Should I turn back my OC because while stress testing the Temps are around 85 dergees or is that ok because the CPU can handle it and it won't be stressed that much in normal usage?

Luuk

|| CPU: Core i7 3770k @ 4.6gHz || RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600mHz || GPU: nVidia GTX 670 ||

Hello!!

Well the temps are very bad tho. I recommend at lest 70-75 Celcius MAX. You didn't mention witch cooler are using. (that's very important)

while you get the new cooler you should downclock the CPU because you will end with you 3770k very fast.

Regards,

Toxic

High 80's and low 90's on P95 with a 3770K? You've got something wrong somewhere. What exactly are you using for a CPU cooler as well as what's the airflow like in your case? How well is your thermal paste applied? What's your overall OC settings?

Those temps are a bit too high. What cooler are you using and Vcore did you set in the Bios. I recommend staying around 80C while stress testing.

if you are gaming, you don't really need to overclock this much, 4.5Ghz will be more than enough.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Yeah turn your OC down a tick or get better cooling. Anything (to me) over 85C is getting into dangerous territory.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

So I tested it for 24 hours, no errors just the temps that were 85 degrees celcius and higher (85-91) I turned down my overclock to 4.4 gHz and testing that the temps stayed around 80 degrees, I think that are more reasonable temps?

@ TheBLOODYTOXIC I have a Scythe Mine 2, about the largest air cooler I've ever seen

|| CPU: Core i7 3770k @ 4.6gHz || RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600mHz || GPU: nVidia GTX 670 ||

Yeah the new temps around 80 is fine.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

Why don't you check the v-core? You should try different voltages and find the lowest amount of power needed to run your 3770k @ 4.5~4.6 GHz ;)

Why don't you check the v-core? You should try different voltages and find the lowest amount of power needed to run your 3770k @ 4.5~4.6 GHz ;)

Assuming he tested properly (started low and bumped incrementally his multiplier/vcore), his current vcore in his OP is the lowest "stable" already minus the heat issue. Only option is to turn down the OC; he is running air cooling so if he changed that then his OC would change as well.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

Turn down the OC or get a H100i. With that you can OC to almost 5GHz and you should stay under 70C with proper airflow and fans with good static pressure.

Feel free to ask me for any advice, and I may ask for yours too. I'm an otaku. =)
Steam: hiddenshadow8

I turned down my OC to 4.4 gHz as mentioned in my last post, there, I'm getting pretty reasonable temps, I might buy an H100i or an H110 in the near future, just need to have some money for it..;)

Turn down the OC or get a H100i. With that you can OC to almost 5GHz and you should stay under 70C with proper airflow and fans with good static pressure.

Lol I think that's what I already said and his OC will depend on how he did in the silicon lottery. He hasn't posted his actual settings so he could be near his vcore threshold (that's why his temp is so high, maybe).

I turned down my OC to 4.4 gHz as mentioned in my last post' date=' there, I'm getting pretty reasonable temps, I might buy an H100i or an H110 in the near future, just need to have some money for it..;)[/quote']

I vote for the H110. Also have you been slowly bumping your oc and vcore to ensure you have the highest oc with the lowest vcore?

Spoiler

Tantō

• Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

Also have you been slowly bumping your oc and vcore to ensure you have the highest oc with the lowest vcore?

I tried to find it, I think it is in some sort of auto mode but i'm not sure. I have an Asrock MB with the Asrock ClickBIOS, that one is a real bitch if you try to set the voltage.

For me it wasn't the best way i guess...

This is my system when testing on 4.6gHz with prime95.

I hope this gives you guys some more info!

post-5338-13667861571792_thumb.png