MSI 780 Lightning is not being used by games, average fps is 22 :(

Go to solution Solved by RichardSchwager,

SOLVED!!!

I reinstalled Windows. 

VGA Fan control still refused to work, therefore i installed the oldest version available from the drivers cd in the graphicscard box. previously i had downloaded the latest version from msi.de, which were not working at all. the oldest one however does.

--> MSI has a broken programme on their website and doesnt even care to correct it.

It fixed the fps issue as well. The gpu is boosting just fine now, and fps are normal. 

Thanks for your help and answers!

Good evening tech community,

onto my second post and second issue i have with the msi gtx 780 lightning.

1. What happened?

To start things off, my system specs:

• CPU: i7-4770K                   
  • GPU: MSI 780 Lightning  
  • PSU: Corsair RM 850W
  • MB:  MSI Z87 MPOWER      
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black (running XMP)
  • Storage:  128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD

I am having my finals this week, therefore couldn't play Pc games for the past 6 days or so. About a week ago, when I still had time, everything worked flawlessly (exept for the problem mentioned in my first post, that never got solved and msi costumer service doesnt give a shit about it). Yesterday, I decided to take a day off and enjoy some gta V - only to find out that average framerate is around 25 fps.

I checked with the OSD of Precision X16 (Version 5.3.3 i believe), found out that the GPU is chillin at ~35-40% usage, 400mb (instead of 2800mb) framebuffer usage and ~600mhz. Temps never exceed 38°C.

2. Things I tried to solve the Issue

• wipe display drivers with DDU (display driver uninstaller), then installing fresh drivers from nvidia (newest one, and the previous one)
  • uninstall afterburner/ precision x
  • using kboost from precision x to force boost clocks of 1200mhz  --> this didnt influence the fps at all ... (interesting)
  • Testing the gpu with furmark, this benchmark works flawlessly, boost clocks and performance are normal
  • testing the gpu with 3DMark11 (free version), also no problems here
  • tried to disable the integrated graphics core of the i7, didnt find an according setting however

3. My presumptions (might very well be wrong!)

• obviously, the gpu isnt used by games (--> low usage%, temp, clock, memory usage)
  • Graphicscard seems to be "fine" (--> works in benchmarks)
  • if the gpu isnt used by games, is the Integrated graphics unit used instead ?? (--> would explain the low gpu usage, and bad framerate)

If you made it until the end, I want to thank you - I dont take it as granted that you take your time to help or even read about my issue.

If you've any Solution, or idea, or know someone or know some place or website I could write to, anything - please let me know.

Thank y'all so much in advance,

yours truly, from the north of Germany,

Richard

• tried to disable the integrated graphics core of the i7, didnt find an according setting however

You need to go into the BIOS, and from there you can disable the iGPU (integrated in the CPU)

Apart from that, I cant think of anything else... Is it only GTA?

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

snipy snipy snip

Your iGPU wont be working if there is no cable plugged into the motherboard, so no need to worry about that.

You said it's working fine in benchmarks right? Have you tried it in other games?

• 3 weeks later...

All cables are plugged in, everything well in that department. 

It is not only games, but everything except benchmarks, the entire computer seems extremely laggy.

The data backup that usually takes 6-7h is running since 29h straight , and still not finished.

Gonna upgrade my boot ssd, then reinstall windows :angry:  :angry:  :angry: . allover performance and responsetime is getting worse by the minute. 

I'll report when I am done, that should be around next thursday the 28th of may. 

Thanks for your answers so far!! 

• 2 weeks later...

SOLVED!!!

I reinstalled Windows. 

VGA Fan control still refused to work, therefore i installed the oldest version available from the drivers cd in the graphicscard box. previously i had downloaded the latest version from msi.de, which were not working at all. the oldest one however does.

--> MSI has a broken programme on their website and doesnt even care to correct it.

It fixed the fps issue as well. The gpu is boosting just fine now, and fps are normal. 

Thanks for your help and answers!