Speed of my Samsung 840 Series 120GB Solid State Drive

TorguL

I have ACHI mode enabled in BIOS under SATA Configurations, but I still feel as if my SSD is not going as fast as it should be. My PC turns on quick enough from when I press the power on button, but when it comes to the log-in screen it takes a good while before it enters through to the desktop. What can be causing this? I have system restore disabled, so that should help optimize the SSD... what other steps can I take to help the SSD perform better?

Below are 3 different tests I ran... what do you make of it? Are the scores reasonable for a SSD?

Are these settings correct in Registry?

Specs: 3570k, Maximus V Gene, 8GB DDR3 Ram 1866MHz

post-19798-0-47968600-1373831054.png

post-19798-0-47968600-1373831054.png

Making sure, Is it plugged into the correct port ?

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

The write speeds are up to what samsung say the reads are a little slower than what they say. But they do say "Up To" and also they do say it depends on system specs even tho yours are very good.

Download samsung magician see if theres any firmware updates that sort of thing.

My Build  CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@4.1@Ghz Mobo: Asus M5A99x Evo R2.0 GPU: Asus 7870T @1.25GHz Core 5.5GHz Mem Ram: Kingston HyperX@ 1600 9-9-9-24 CPU Cooler: H80 Push/Pull Noctua NF-P12  SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 PRO HDD: Mix of drives which add up to 5.6TB SoundCard: Asus xonar DGX PSU: Corsair HX650 + alchemy cables Case: R3 with the rest of the fans being fractel fans.

Im A Snake.....

The write speeds are up to what samsung say the reads are a little slower than what they say. But they do say "Up To" and also they do say it depends on system specs even tho yours are very good.

Download samsung magician see if theres any firmware updates that sort of thing.

They are both about half the estimated speed

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

They are both about half the estimated speed

He has the 840 not the 840 pro.

3CSam.png

My Build  CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@4.1@Ghz Mobo: Asus M5A99x Evo R2.0 GPU: Asus 7870T @1.25GHz Core 5.5GHz Mem Ram: Kingston HyperX@ 1600 9-9-9-24 CPU Cooler: H80 Push/Pull Noctua NF-P12  SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 PRO HDD: Mix of drives which add up to 5.6TB SoundCard: Asus xonar DGX PSU: Corsair HX650 + alchemy cables Case: R3 with the rest of the fans being fractel fans.

Im A Snake.....

He has the 840 not the 840 pro.

3CSam.png

Oh woops, my bad.... On another note why would Samsung release that shitty line of SSD's when there are so much better ones...

Oh woops, my bad.... On another note why would Samsung release that shitty line of SSD's when there are so much better ones...

The 840 is more aimed at value and laptops that sort of thing. I would say they are very good for the price just no where near as fast as the pro version.

You can get the 840 off amazon for £75 which is pretty cheap.

Im A Snake.....

The 840 is more aimed at value and laptops that sort of thing. I would say they are very good for the price just no where near as fast as the pro version.

You can get the 840 off amazon for £75 which is pretty cheap.

I guess so, It isn't really that much faster then an HDD, I got 100MB/s Read and Write to my 1TB on a Sata 2 connection ...

I guess so, It isn't really that much faster then an HDD, I got 100MB/s Read and Write to my 1TB on a Sata 2 connection ...

Yeah i dont tend to recommend the normal 840 i tend to recommend the Kingston 3k if you are on a budget they are faster and generally better.

Im A Snake.....

Yeah i dont tend to recommend the normal 840 i tend to recommend the Kingston 3k if you are on a budget they are faster and generally better.

I go with OCZ great support so far, When I was having issues they did nothing short of everything they could to help me out and speeds are great, even on Sata II 

But for now back on topic of the post lol, we kinda took over the guys thread... 

I go with OCZ great support so far, When I was having issues they did nothing short of everything they could to help me out and speeds are great, even on Sata II 

But for now back on topic of the post lol, we kinda took over the guys thread... 

Indeed we are a bit off topic.

Basically to answer the OPs question your speeds are pretty much normal you could check to see if there's a firmware update and see if that improves reads but there's nothing wrong that i can see really.

Im A Snake.....

I have a samsung 840 250gig I get 556mb/s reads  259mb/s writes. How full is your ssd ? some ssd's speeds slow down when they start to get full and as Snake said try samsung magician see what results you get.

I have a samsung 840 250gig I get 556mb/s reads  259mb/s writes. How full is your ssd ? some ssd's speeds slow down when they start to get full and as Snake said try samsung magician see what results you get.

Has has used 23 out of the available 112 GBs

You can see it in the picture...

Yes, but random read/write and seek times are wayyyyyyy less on an SSD. If I got an SSD and a HDD and both were capped at 100MB/s, the SSD system will be faster as there is practically no seek time etc.

I need more SSDs.

Yes, but random read/write and seek times are wayyyyyyy less on an SSD. If I got an SSD and a HDD and both were capped at 100MB/s, the SSD system will be faster as there is practically no seek time etc.

In this particular time they are the same, I compared them with the results the user had and I was on a sata II connection so they would be even better on a sata II connection...

In this particular time they are the same, I compared them with the results the user had and I was on a sata II connection so they would be even better on a sata II connection...

Not quite sure what you mean here, but are you really getting <0.1ms seek times constantly? A SSD should be able to maintain very fast seek times nomatter what as there are no moving parts. For a hard drive, it does depend on conditions.

I need more SSDs.