OS with Mac looks

MsTrMind

Situation right now: I have Windows 8 Pro X64.

Setup:

MSI 760GM-P23 (fx)

AMD FX6100

Asus HD6670 DirectCU Silent

Kingston 2*4GB 1333 Valueram

Thermaltake Smart 530Watt

I want to quit (or at least reduce) my gaming.

I really like the Mac layout, but hate the incompatibility with the software I use.

What Linux Distro would you recommend?

I tried Pear OS 6.1 but it was unstable as sh*t, rebooting my pc out of the blue, ...

Are there any others that are somewhat stable?

Proud to be from Belgium.

Well, for Mac looks, I'd suggest Ubuntu first. The sidebar in Unity is very similar to OSX's dock, except it's on the side. 12.10 is the version I use, and it's very stable and corrected some driver issues I had in 12.04. The main complaint others have about it is that Unity is sluggish, but I personally haven't experienced that.

For general Linux OSes, I'd look at Linux Mint and Fedora. These three are the more user-friendly distros I can think of from the top of my head. A big thing to note about most Linux distros is that, if you dislike one UI, you can easily change it to a different UI (if Windows 8 had this feature, I think people would be happier with it).

Well, for Mac looks, I'd suggest Ubuntu first. The sidebar in Unity is very similar to OSX's dock, except it's on the side. 12.10 is the version I use, and it's very stable and corrected some driver issues I had in 12.04. The main complaint others have about it is that Unity is sluggish, but I personally haven't experienced that.

For general Linux OSes, I'd look at Linux Mint and Fedora. These three are the more user-friendly distros I can think of from the top of my head. A big thing to note about most Linux distros is that, if you dislike one UI, you can easily change it to a different UI (if Windows 8 had this feature, I think people would be happier with it).

Hmm, I think I will try Ubuntu again (last time I used it was the 8.04 release :-p

In school I am going to have a class called "Operating Systems" wich will be all about Fedora.

I read about WUBI, is this do-able, or would you suggest a real dual-boot?

I really liked Ubuntu. If I wasn't running OS X it's definitely what I'd prefer to use.

Just out of curiousity, what software is incompatible with OS X but compatible with Linux?

I really liked Ubuntu. If I wasn't running OS X it's definitely what I'd prefer to use.

Just out of curiousity, what software is incompatible with OS X but compatible with Linux?

openCobol :)

Some stupid back-end language, but I have to learn it for school :)

You can try WUBI if you'd like (it's easy enough to remove), but personally I'd suggest going for an actual dual-boot. There's some debate about whether WUBI is harmful to the performance of Ubuntu since it's not a true dual-boot environment.

If you haven't already, look into Virtual Box. It's a great way to test out Linux distros before creating a dual boot setup. I use it whenever I need to test cross-compatibility with different distros but don't want to restart my machine to do so.

You could always Hackintosh then use BootCamp with Windows, or possibly a virtual machine.
Hackintosh on AMD is a pain in the ass ...

I WUBI'ed my machine,

Ubuntu has changed a lot!

I just love it, now messing around with Compiz, searching a good dock and setting up everything.

Thx for the tip!

Is it the aesthetics you want or the actual layout of settings ect?

Just the layout of settings, I love the dock and just the overal beauty of Mac. The icons, the animations with the windows, ... :)

I was gonna say otherwise something like a custom theme may be of interest..