Random Restarts?

matthewmarchant

Okay, so I've had my new PC for a few weeks now.  It's been working fine in games and performing up to my expectations.  I noticed this problem once before where my computer randomly restarted when I was out doing something but today I was just watching YouTube and it restarted right in front of me.  I'm kind of getting a little bit more nervous now that I've seen it happen and came up with an idea as to why it is happening.  From reading around it seems like this can happen if your computer doesn't have enough power.  I have a 600w EVGA 600B psu.  Here is my full list of specs

AMD FX-8350

Gigabyte AM3+ 970A-UD3P

ADATA XPG V2 8GB 1600Mhz

ASUS 960 STRIX

NZXT S340

Corsair H60 

Intel 530

Seagate Barracuda

And as I mentioned an evga 600b.

The PSU calculators I looked at said anywhere from 350w - 450w so I assumed I would be fine.  The thing that just doesn't make sense to me is that this happens when watching YouTube and when I wasn't even on my computer.  Could this be the problem?  If so, what would you recommend I do?

Thanks in advance, Matthew.

Check if all your hardware are connected firmly (specially your GPU, since you mention videos). I bet the PSU is not the problem but the power from the plug might be. Plug your computer at a different power socket if you had no luck with from the previous "step". 

Check if all your hardware are connected firmly (specially your GPU, since you mention videos). I bet the PSU is not the problem but the power from the plug might be. Plug your computer at a different power socket if you had no luck with from the previous "step". 

Well, now that you say that, my 24pin isn't clicked in,  I've tried many times but no matter how hard I try it won't click.  And btw, I've tried to make it click with Bitfenix extension cables and the 24pin straight from the psu and neither of them work.  The gpu 6pin is plugged in fine tho.  I didn't think much of it since it was turning on fine.

Well, now that you say that, my 24pin isn't clicked in,  I've tried many times but no matter how hard I try it won't click.  And btw, I've tried to make it click with Bitfenix extension cables and the 24pin straight from the psu and neither of them work.  The gpu 6pin is plugged in fine tho.  I didn't think much of it since it was turning on fine.

I've had this problem 2-3 times before when I accidentally moved the GPU and even the system was able to boot and run "fine", i had random restarts. Just check your GPU if it's locked to your motherboard and make sure it's even. 

What temps are you getting in HWinfo under load?

The temps are labeled VR T1 and VR T2 in HWiNFO hardware monitoring software.

Reinstall everything and update the BIOS to the newest version. Other than that it sounds like a power supply issue. It's remotely possible that it's the GPU but those tend to blue screen. RAM the PSU and get a new one to see if that resolves your problem.

Reinstall everything and update the BIOS to the newest version. Other than that it sounds like a power supply issue. It's remotely possible that it's the GPU but those tend to blue screen. RAM the PSU and get a new one to see if that resolves your problem.

Thanks everyone for the responses, but I think I've solved my problem.  Stupid me forgot to install the drivers.  I had them in a folder on my computer but I never actually ran the setup file.  Is that most likely the reason why it was so unstable?