Installing games and programs into separate drives. HELP

Deleon.David
Go to solution Solved by ShadyHost,

If you are using Steam you can make a new Steam library on another drive. Then when you go to install a new game you can just choose the other drive. Put your favorite games on the SSD and everything else on the other drive. 

Here is what it looks like in Steam:

B56Q1mG.jpg

I have a 120 gb ssd which is drive C (i have my OS in there and i have my most played games such as bf3 and dota 2 and others)
I want to install more games and programs
i do not wish to uninstall my games.
I also have a 2tb hdd which is drive D for mass storage. is there anyway for me to install games to my 2tb mass storage?
PLEASE HELP!

I have a 120 gb ssd which is drive C (i have my OS in there and i have my most played games such as bf3 and dota 2 and others)

I want to install more games and programs

i do not wish to uninstall my games.

I also have a 2tb hdd which is drive D for mass storage. is there anyway for me to install games to my 2tb mass storage?

PLEASE HELP!

Heya,

Yup, you can. When you go to install the game. Choose either "custom install" or "advanced install". They will give you the option to install the game under a new directory. Click on the "Browse" button and select where you want to install it. Usually you will have to create a new folder as it isn't a default install. Create the folder named appropriately and select that folder as the directory you wish to install the game, and away you go  ^_^

It will take care of the rest (creating shortcuts on the desktop if requested).

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

If you are using Steam you can make a new Steam library on another drive. Then when you go to install a new game you can just choose the other drive. Put your favorite games on the SSD and everything else on the other drive. 

B56Q1mG.jpg

When ever you install a game or program it well ask where do you want the folder to be saved. So that is where you change the location to your 2tb drive.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

B56Q1mG.jpg

it wont let me "choose location to install"

should i reformat my drive?

if so can you please give me a step by step? it would mean a lot

If you want you can also use symbolic links for moving installed files. Doing what I am about to describe will allow you to have the files on another hard disk but Steam thinks they are on the C:\ Drive still.

Example

I have Call of Duty: Black Ops II on my SSD and I want to move it to the big hard drive

First I need to know the location of the game and where I want to put it.

That game is here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Call of Duty Black Ops II

And I want to put it here: D:\Steam Games\Call of Duty Black Ops II

To do this you can cut and paste the Black Ops II directory onto the D:\ Drive where you want it

Now to make the link that will make Steam think that the files is there has to be made,

Open the Command Prompt or CMD ( As an administrator )

You will have to type this line of code:

mklink /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Call of Duty Black Ops II" "D:\Steam Games\Call of Duty Black Ops II" 

Then press enter. ( The quotes are VERY important )

You should see the link appear as a shortcut and then if you open the link it will open the directory on the hard drive but it will think that the files are still on the SSD.

You can do this with just about any Steam game, I am not 100% about software..

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

it wont let me "choose location to install"

should i reformat my drive?

if so can you please give me a step by step? it would mean a lot

This only applies to games you are installing, not games you have already installed. Some games do not support installing to places other than the C drive. 

What you can do is go to C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/common and find the game you want to move, then move it to the "steamapps" library on another drive and it will show up there. 

This only applies to games you are installing, not games you have already installed. Some games do not support installing to places other than the C drive. 

What you can do is go to C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/common and find the game you want to move, then move it to the "steamapps" library on another drive and it will show up there. 

what do you mean "then move it to the "steamapps" library on another drive? 

OMG GUYS MY APOLOGIES, I HAVE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE
my 2tb is not formatted as a d drive, it's formatted INTO the c drive.

SORRY FOR EVERYONE THAT CONTRIBUTED, PLEASE CONTINUE TO CONTRIBUTE

If you want you can also use symbolic links for moving installed files. Doing what I am about to describe will allow you to have the files on another hard disk but Steam thinks they are on the C:\ Drive still.

Example

I have Call of Duty: Black Ops II on my SSD and I want to move it to the big hard drive

First I need to know the location of the game and where I want to put it.

That game is here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Call of Duty Black Ops II

And I want to put it here: D:\Steam Games\Call of Duty Black Ops II

To do this you can cut and paste the Black Ops II directory onto the D:\ Drive where you want it

Now to make the link that will make Steam think that the files is there has to be made,

Open the Command Prompt or CMD ( As an administrator )

You will have to type this line of code:

mklink /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Call of Duty Black Ops II" "D:\Steam Games\Call of Duty Black Ops II" 

Then press enter. ( The quotes are VERY important )

You should see the link appear as a shortcut and then if you open the link it will open the directory on the hard drive but it will think that the files are still on the SSD.

You can do this with just about any Steam game, I am not 100% about software..

I WILL TRY THIS, THANKS!

but soory my apologies my 2tb is not formatted as a d drive, it's formatted INTO the c drive as storage.... is there still a way for me to install and play games off there?

I WILL TRY THIS, THANKS!

but soory my apologies my 2tb is not formatted as a d drive, it's formatted INTO the c drive as storage.... is there still a way for me to install and play games off there?

You can use the 2TB Drive no matter the Letter, so where I wrote D:\Steam Games\Call of Duty Black Ops II. You would write C:\Steam Games\Call of Duty Black Ops II.

Even though your C:\ Drive is usually your main OS...

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build