Windows Update

Perixx

Simple: Would turning Windows Update off be a problem? Would it cause any problems with my PC? Am I going to be at risk for anything, or am I safe to do so?

Simple: Would turning Windows Update off be a problem? Would it cause any problems with my PC? Am I going to be at risk for anything, or am I safe to do so?

Keep your AV up to date and you'll be (mostly) fine, but if there are any security patches, you won't get those.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

why would you want to turn it off?

It's the best way. Windows will let you know when an update shows up and you can make up your mind what and when to d/l.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

why would you want to turn it off?

For some reason, after a recent update, when I boot up, windows update through the process "Windows Modules Installer Worker" eats up like 10% CPU on idle and it doesn't go away unless I hibernate the PC. I  have tried several troubleshooting methods to try to fix Windows Update, but no luck. The only other idea I have is to do a factory reset/reinstall, and I don't want to do that. When I have Windows Update disabled, it relieves me from this process using up CPU.