AIO vs Bespoke?

I'm considering going watercooling on my next build, the air cooler I have is a gigantic monstrosity that makes working in the case dificult and is a pain to keep clean. Not to mention the benefits of wc's ability to get the hot air out of the case immediately rather than just circulating it inside. So I've come here to ask the experts as it were this most important of questions, simply get an AIO like the Corsair H100i which looks impressive, or is a self built system still the only real option?

My criteria here are fairly straitforward, cost, performance and well hassel and risk. I'm also only really looking at cooling my CPU with water, my CPU hasn't changed now I think in 5 years but my GPU has a few times now and I'm not overly eager to have to buy a new waterblock and install that into the loop every time. Also appearance isn't a factor, my PC sits under my desk and I have no real interest in UV fluids or the like. I also am currently using the HAF922 which allows the radiator to be external which seems logically like it should be an advantage to cooling but is impossible to do with an AIO, is this something that should encourage me to go custom or ultimately a small bonus if I do?

Thank you in advance.

By the sounds of your requirements an AIO would be the best option. Cheaper, less hassle and risk. Performance wise for just a CPU I dont think you will see much of a noticeable difference between custom and AIO.

I personally love building custom loops so I tend to recommend giving it a go if you have any interest in it.

I havent actually seen much testing done with external rad setups vs internal. I imagine there would be a small benefit in temps but I find them too messy and ugly most of the time to go external.  

End of the day it sounds like AIO is probably more suited for your application.