Need feedback on wooden case design

Go to solution Solved by Albert1998,

Finally had some time to draw the cpu cooler. The project will start next weekend by picking up all the wood. The exterior will stay as it is right now. If I end up not liking it anymore or just want something else, I can just make a new exterior thanks to the double frame design :). The internals are not 100% definite yet. 

What no matter what happens this will be able to go in this build:

- Intel i5-4690k (from prev. build)

- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z97 (from prev. build)

- Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming 3,5GB (from prev. build)

- Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133ghz zilver (from prev. build)

- Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (from prev. build)

- Silverstone SX-500LG

What would be realy awesome to have in this build and what I will try to arrange:

- Same CPU

- Another MB because of the red accents on the Sniper

- Gigabyte GTX980ti G1 Gaming 6GB, the silver accents on the GPU fit this build so perfectly, its almost as if the GPU was designed for this build

- Corsair Dominator Platinums (original memory is also ok because of the silver strips, but you know > platinums :) )

- Corsair Neutron XT 250GB x2

- Same PSU

Cooling will be done with Be Quiet! products:

- Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP CPU cooler, fits like a glove in this build

- 7x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 80mm

- All connected to an Aquaero 5 LT!

Lighting:

- 2x 30cm RGB LED strip on the inside (left and right side of the left side panel)

- 110 cm RGB LED strip on the outside of the inner frame (for the cool lighting effects on the outside)

- All connected to an Aqua Computer Farbwerk controller (So I for example can let the LEDS react to my CPU temperature, pretty sick!)

There will be a buildlog on the LTT forums :) 

gallery_78571_2837_33875.jpggallery_78571_2837_47919.jpggallery_78571_2837_129320.jpggallery_78571_2837_441142.jpg

actually, the panel is only 18mm thick. But the case is so small it looks like way more. But I kind of agree with you, 3,6 and 5,5mm should do. 

18mm is way too much, you should use something around 5mm thats way cheaper as well

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Give me a link to a build comparable to this one. 

And that is why.

This is special and innovative. 

I just don't see how these companies would benefit from it. You can't make up £1000+ in advertisement.

By the gods though, I hope they do. This build looks neat as hell.

I just don't see how these companies would benefit from it. You can't make up £1000+ in advertisement.

By the gods though, I hope they do. This build looks neat as hell.

Actually, I don't ask them for much. I will try to get Asus to sponsor a motherboard and either noctua or be quiet to sponsor the fans and CPU cooler. For Asus this would cost them 200 pounds, for noctua 140 or be quiet 80. I have seen Asus sponsoring ares III cards of 1500+ pounds to builds where nothing special was going on, except for the ares card itself. And if I do not manage to get sponsors I will just pay everything myself, I will just take a bit longer then. But I can promise you, this build will happen, and when it happens I will make sure the components match the case itself.

Crazy Custom Wooden Case Project: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/LN8KHx

Re-designed the storage area. The 2.5 inch HDD/SSD's can be replaced much easier now. Also, It can hold up to 2 3.5 inch HDD's plus 1 SSD, or 1 HDD plus 4 SSD's or 8 SSD's. All the storage will be actively cooled by the 80mm fans in the bottom.

gallery_78571_2837_50682.jpg

gallery_78571_2837_318335.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some updates. I discovered that bending the wood won't work. So I have to come up with some new exterior designs. Here is a exemple of one. I also redrawed the cables, they look way better now. 

gallery_78571_2837_209939.jpg

gallery_78571_2837_85640.jpggallery_78571_2837_76931.jpg

gallery_78571_2837_228883.jpggallery_78571_2837_216381.jpggallery_78571_2837_122455.jpggallery_78571_2837_295310.jpg

the problem is, can you handcraft all those fine lines ? Do you have a lasercutter ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

the problem is, can you handcraft all those fine lines ? Do you have a lasercutter ?

I am pretty good with a figure-saw, and I have done some similar patterns before. It is just that it takes a lot of time. But do you like it?

I am pretty good with a figure-saw, and I have done some similar patterns before. It is just that it takes a lot of time. But do you like it?

you took the simplicity and kinda ruined it, not bad just not simplistic

@Albert1998 make sure you post it in the build logs, so we can vote for it and so you can get a fancy badge.

I'm also planning a wooden case build, just make sure there isn't much electromagnetic interference around. This is important because it can be dangerous for hard drives, and a metal box around the hard drives reduce electromag interference.

Looks great.

If I've said something wrong, please correct me

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Keyboard: Roccat TKL Pro Cherry MX blue, Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD, Headset: Currently apple earbuds, planning to upgrade to hyperx cloud or hyperx cloud 2 
Really Old Desktop 
 Processor: Intel Core i7 920, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-FX58-DS4, RAM: 9GB Corsair XM3 (3*3GB in triple channel) 600 or 800mhz, Graphics Card: Asus 8400GS passive, Asus GT630 4GB if i can get it working, Case: Cheapo Throwout case with most of the standoffs missing, HDD: Some old 80GB hard drive, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 550w, Monitor: 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 13 
 Laptop Which I Use For Everything: 
Processor: Intel Core i5 3337U, RAM: 8GB (2*4GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Nvidia 710m HDD/SSD: WD Black2 Dual Drive, OS: Windows 8.1 
 40 GB/s Network Tester
Processor: Some really good Intel Core i3, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Ram: Corsair Value Select 4GB (2*2GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: Some 1U rackmount mini-itx case with no front bays, HDD: Seagate Momentus 5400, 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 40Gb/s QSFP+ PCIe 3.0 8x NIC, Monitor: any ones lying around, or 32" Kogan TV, OS: CentOS 6.2 (I Think)
Planned 100Gb/s Newtork Tester
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Impact, Ram: Kingston or G.Skill 8GB 2400MHZ Low Profile, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: 1U Rackmount ITX case, HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 100Gb/s PCIe 3.0 16x NIC, Monitor: Any lying around or 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 22 or CentOS

Add aluminum to dfference the 2 wood colors, set the wood in the other wood, so its not standing out everywhere

Something like this:

Yup, but the window is still kinda bumping out, try with as little bumps as possible, also you need to find a theme, at this point it looks like you just played around in gimp

The problem with the windows is, that is has to stick out a little bit because otherwise there are almost no compatible cpu coolers. At the moment a be quiet shadow rock LP fits with 1cm of space to breath. I am aware of the fact that i still have to design a new window, i will probably find some ways to make it thinner. But do like the way the exterior turned out? 

The problem with the windows is, that is has to stick out a little bit because otherwise there are almost no compatible cpu coolers. At the moment a be quiet shadow rock LP fits with 1cm of space to breath. I am aware of the fact that i still have to design a new window, i will probably find some ways to make it thinner. But do like the way the exterior turned out? 

I would honestly make the whole case bigger then, rather have a flush window that is glued in

I would honestly make the whole case bigger then, rather have a flush window that is glued in

I don't know if that is possible. I would have to start all over if i want to make the case wider, because the internal frame is build around standard measurements of wood. In this case 93mmx18mm. I could make the window in an mirrored "L" shape, and make ventilation for the cpu cooler. I will have to draw this later today or tommorow beacause I have to go to school within 30 minutes. Thx for all the feedback you are giving COLLOSSOS!

Yeah, I just throw in everything I think, schools starts @10am for you ? Thats awesome

Yeah, I just throw in everything I think, schools starts @10am for you ? Thats awesome

Only on monday's at the moment. The rest of the week I my timetable starts at either 8:10 am or 9:00 am. Though no possibilities to sleep late, since I have to get up every day at 5:00 am to deliver the newspapers to earn money for projects like this. Back on topic: I might have time to design some new windows this evening.