DirectX 12 Is A Lie? In A Good Way?

Icelander

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I'm hoping newer games with DX12 are as well optimized as BF4 was. Not that they should add DX12 to BF4

Ahh, the way you said it made you sound like you wanted DX12 for BF4. :D I think BF4 is well optimized but for what you get there is a lot of work that can be done to improve it. DX12 based games should run very well from the get-go at least, in theory.

Always trying to find reason.

Ahh, the way you said it made you sound like you wanted DX12 for BF4. :D I think BF4 is well optimized but for what you get there is a lot of work that can be done to improve it. DX12 based games should run very well from the get-go at least, in theory.

My bad :P just trying to delay a CPU upgrade to intel as long as possible. As of right now it doesn't have a problems in games I play. Just hoping GTA V will work well on an FX 6300 4.2ghz haha

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

My bad :P just trying to delay a CPU upgrade to intel as long as possible. As of right now it doesn't have a problems in games I play. Just hoping GTA V will work well on an FX 6300 4.2ghz haha

Oh it should work fine. I think you might run in to a problem with long view distances that load a lot of objects but your performance should be fine regardless.

Always trying to find reason.

Heyyo,

I wouldn't say only one core talks to the GPU in DirectX 11 and down... the problem with multi-threading game engines right meow? Difficulty. Epic even said with Unreal Engine 3 that they are only multi-threading a few operations due to time investments. Stuff like sound, animations and a handful of other things due to difficulty and development time.

The difference between a benchmark and a game? benchmarks are built for multi-threading everything since that is what it's built for. It's not built to deliver a full game, it's just built for synthetic testing of your PC. That's why you can get some impressive visuals and decent framerates in 3DMark yet you load up Final Fantasy XIII and it runs like ass. :P

Read this to see kind of what I mean by difficulty of multithreading games with current 3D APIs:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Unreal-Engine-3-Gets-Multithreaded-Support-Devs-Have-No-More-PS3-Excuses-19029.html

So yeah, DirectX 12 promises a lot... but in the end? What really matters is if they made the process easier/dummy-proof for multithreading in DirectX 12 for game engines... There's still a chance of seeing the same crippling issues that we've seen in the past where development costs override the development improvements.

Same can be said currently about game engines and lack of optimized Multi-GPU support as we have seen in Dead Rising 3's lack of AMD CrossFire and NVIDIA SLI support... same with Wolfenstein: New Order.

Look at Elder Scrolls Online as a perfect example! Single-threaded game engine and didn't have proper multi-GPU support until the game started failing hard hahaha...

So far? It has all been rumors that Mantle was truly the cause for DirectX 12... I haven't seen a report about Microsoft saying "This is in direct response to Mantle." For all we know? DirectX 12 has been in development for quite some time and they only bothered announcing it after AMD pushed out Mantle (which is in beta and by the sounds of it won't see a 1.0 release).

I honestly have no clue when or why.  You can see why some say that Mantle's release provoked MS to do or say something about Direct3D, right?  

Heyyo,

I honestly have no clue when or why.  You can see why some say that Mantle's release provoked MS to do or say something about Direct3D, right?

Timing-wise? I agree it does look like Microsoft announced DirectX 12 as a response to AMD's Mantle... but in the end? It's too damn hard to support a proprietarty 3D API. Look at 3DFX Glide. It fared only slightly better than AMD Mantle. One could say the advancements of DirectX and OpenGL could have been in response to 3DFX Glide or they could have been natural progression.

I can't find the article but I remember the CEO of Khronos Group saying that Vulkan was created in response to DirectX... which they've been trailing behind for quite some time. Vulkan is a VERY overdue upgrade for OpenGL which has been struggling ever since OpenGL v2.0 due to corporations lamenting having to upgrade their software/hardware to keep up with OpenGL support versions so now OpenGL is a mess... maybe that's why AMD and NVIDIA have been slow to adopt the latest versions of OpenGL. :P

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

Timing-wise? I agree it does look like Microsoft announced DirectX 12 as a response to AMD's Mantle... but in the end? It's too damn hard to support a proprietarty 3D API. Look at 3DFX Glide. It fared only slightly better than AMD Mantle. One could say the advancements of DirectX and OpenGL could have been in response to 3DFX Glide or they could have been natural progression.

I can't find the article but I remember the CEO of Khronos Group saying that Vulkan was created in response to DirectX... which they've been trailing behind for quite some time. Vulkan is a VERY overdue upgrade for OpenGL which has been struggling ever since OpenGL v2.0 due to corporations lamenting having to upgrade their software/hardware to keep up with OpenGL support versions so now OpenGL is a mess... maybe that's why AMD and NVIDIA have been slow to adopt the latest versions of OpenGL. :P

I was gonna mention glide too..  I saw one once, a Voodoo gfx card.. held it in my very hands.  But yeah, Nvidia has not given any indication of enhancing their OpenGL or OpenCL support to the level of what AMD  did with Manlte.   Let's hope for a time of 3 APIs battling it out.  again. And lets hope AMD can overcome their losses and release their new GPU this summer.  I did hear  a rumor on RedGamingTech 's youtube channel that Samsung was interested in AMD.  That would be cool if they came to their aid and let AMD do what they have done for the last decade, Be the first to set the bar, DX9,DX10,DX11....

Heyyo,

I was gonna mention glide too..  I saw one once, a Voodoo gfx card.. held it in my very hands.  But yeah, Nvidia has not given any indication of enhancing their OpenGL or OpenCL support to the level of what AMD  did with Manlte.   Let's hope for a time of 3 APIs battling it out.  again. And lets hope AMD can overcome their losses and release their new GPU this summer.  I did hear  a rumor on RedGamingTech 's youtube channel that Samsung was interested in AMD.  That would be cool if they came to their aid and let AMD do what they have done for the last decade, Be the first to set the bar, DX9,DX10,DX11....

Yeah it's been rumor for quite some time that Samsung was interested in AMD but nothing has quite come to plan. Maybe it was also started as a rumor so that AMD could change their manufacturing process to 20nm or even 14nm as Samsung has managed to achieve with the Exyos SoC's on the Galaxy S6.

NVIDIA's support of OpenGL and OpenCL has been slow that is true, but for Linux drivers? Theirs is still very performance efficient compared to AMD in the closed-source drivers. Open-source is a different story... but the open-source drivers are still leagues behind closed-source even on AMD GPUs. Only Intel's iGPU drivers have been really good on opens-source... but we all know how good they are for running games... from 2005. :P

With the latest NVIDIA drivers v350.12 they did add support for OpenCL 1.2, so NVIDIA still has interests in OpenCL and OpenGL but nowhere near as much as they've invested in DirectX... then again, NVIDIA has been slow to adopt DirectX 11.1 and 11.2.. but right meow? I'm trying to find a game that uses tiled resources of 11.2 and I can't find any hahaha... so maybe NVIDIA predicted correctly that there wasn't a need to get their GPUs 11.2 certified?

There's massive talks about how the Xbox One was supposed to outpace the PS4 due to Tiled resources.. but OpenGL also supports Tiled Resources so technically the PS4 could do it as well... as long as the game developers program it in that is which seems to be the same issue on PC as I can't seem to find a game right meow that uses DirectX 11.2 or OpenGL tiled resources. Maybe we'll see it more with DirectX 12 and Vulkan games???

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case