CPU + GPU on 280mm Radiator

Hey guys,

I want to water cool cpu and gpu on 280mm rad, Im just wondering if the radiator will handle all the heat.

I will be using the 540 air case for good airflow, pressure 140mm fans on the rad .

The rad is Hardware Labs Black ICE Radiator GT Xtreme 280

the gpu will be cooling is 780 and cpu is i7 4770k.

This will be my first ever water cooling computer, I think im ready :) 

I would add another radiator in there if you want silence, although what you have would be enough if you don't mind have fans on at high RPMs constantly.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

If i go 360 on front then should I set it to pull the air into the case or to push the air out?

So I will collect fresh air from top. 

If i go 360 on front then should I set it to pull the air into the case or to push the air out?

I think you should make them intakes so pull air into the case because the 540 has a lot of ventilation at the back where it can exhaust

You can't walk out of your own story - Rango

You want the front fans to be intakes and pushing air over the graphics cards. That's how the case is designed and the most efficient way to do it. I think a perfect set-up would be two 280/240 rads. (haven't checked if you can fit that in the case).

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

You want the front fans to be intakes and pushing air over the graphics cards. That's how the case is designed and the most efficient way to do it. I think a perfect set-up would be two 280/240 rads. (haven't checked if you can fit that in the case).

You could do that,

one 280 at the top and one 280 in front.

How about I only cool cpu? with a 280 at the top, and have two 140mm in a front pushing a lot of air straight on 780

How about I only cool cpu? with a 280 at the top, and have two 140mm in a front pushing a lot of air straight on 780

That would be perfect too but your GPU would of course be air-cooled. I thought you wanted to water cool it.

Using two rads would be the neater solution.

Look up crossflow rads. I think this is a case where the benefits of using cross flow rads would outweigh the slight performance decrease.

You might as well buy a h220 if you do that ;)

You might as well buy a h220 if you do that ;)

He could expand a custom loop later. Yes you can expand a H220 but its not the same.

Getting a h220 would not be the same, I want the experience of setting it all up :D

To be honest I can get the 780 windforce, those 3 little fans plus 2 140mm fans blowing straight on them will keep my card cool.

For now I think I go with only cooling the cpu as it will be cheaper. Later I can buy myself a waterblock for the gpu. 

Custom loop will look much more sexier than the h220 black tubes. 

Do you guys know if I can relocate the hot swap able drive cage at the bottom of the case? or are they stuck in there 

Getting a h220 would not be the same, I want the experience of setting it all up :D

To be honest I can get the 780 windforce, those 3 little fans plus 2 140mm fans blowing straight on them will keep my card cool.

For now I think I go with only cooling the cpu as it will be cheaper. Later I can buy myself a waterblock for the gpu. 

Custom loop will look much more sexier than the h220 black tubes. 

Do you guys know if I can relocate the hot swap able drive cage at the bottom of the case? or are they stuck in there

Yeah it's not the same ;)

They are removable.

thanks ghost and everything count to life ;]

the hwlabs gt x 280 is rated for around 900watts of max heat dissipation which means you will be fine but might have to run the fans @ high rpms

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

the hwlabs gt x 280 is rated for around 900watts of max heat dissipation which means you will be fine but might have to run the fans @ high rpms

I think by the time the radiator was emitting 900W of power it would be too hot to touch and would need some very powerful fans on it.

If you think about it most high end systems with multiple radiators don't even use 900W of power from the wall.

I think by the time the radiator was emitting 900W of power it would be too hot to touch and would need some very powerful fans on it.

If you think about it most high end systems with multiple radiators don't even use 900W of power from the wall.

you're right its definitely not an optimal setup - and the performance depends heavily on flowrate & volume of coolant and on the fans utilized. however in theory this rad should be enough... wont be very silent or particularly cool tho :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

you're right its definitely not an optimal setup - and the performance depends heavily on flowrate & volume of coolant and on the fans utilized. however in theory this rad should be enough... wont be very silent or particularly cool tho :P

A thin 120mm rad would be enough in theory. :)