LAN Dhcp server stand alone

Midnight-blaze

I made a mistake with my original post as I was unclear and confused as to what I needed. So here goes: as part of my RPT I need to demonstrate my understanding of servers to my teacher. I've built a server road case and inside is a 64 bit capable machine, a switch, and wireless access point. The idea is to plug the case in, turn on the computer, and plug in pc's to the switch so users can play LAN games and have fun on a LAN network the access point is to make the system wireless, that's not mandatory so I can take care of that. THERE WILL BE NO ROUTER I've tried dhcpsrv 2.4.4 with limited and unacceptable success. What I need is an os or software program that will allow me to connect the server to a switch and create a LAN network. So I need a DHCP, DNS ip hander outer... Thing. I don't understand what a post fence is nor am I to familiar with the fine settings, I know it may be asking a lot but is this possible to do with ubuntu? Any advice is appreciated.

D3sl91 thank you very much I think I'm going to use a router as it requires the skills I need to demonstrate. Ill just use the acess point in a portable build i guess.

Edited by Midnight-blaze

i may have double posted, my pc reloaded the page after i clicked post. thanks Lingering, this sounds exactly like what i need to demonstrate to my teacher that i understand how to setup and maintain a server.  d3sl91 thank you but i needed something more complicated for my assigment. thanks both of you.

i may have double posted, my pc reloaded the page after i clicked post. thanks Lingering, this sounds exactly like what i need to demonstrate to my teacher that i understand how to setup and maintain a server.  d3sl91 thank you but i needed something more complicated for my assigment. thanks both of you.

Good luck on your assignment!

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

so the opendhcp didnt work lingering, could you tell me how to configure it?