Upgrade

prothales
Go to solution Solved by alfaomega,

you're in a kind of hard spot for upgrading. Not because there's no point in upgrding but because you're actually at "decent rig" and this really only leaves one real option for upgrading which is the "true gamer's pc".

Based on your gpu, your next upgrade should ideally be into the 970/290x territory to even make it worthwhile. However, once you decide to do this, you will aslso be in need to upgrade the cpu to match the new gpu. So this also leaves really with only one option which is the forth generation i5 (or i7 if you will be doing other stuff other than gaming).

This will also mean a new monitor if you're running 1080 to take advanget of the new rig.

However, this begs the question of is it really worth it. If you are happy with 1080, your rig does very well for that resolution so, personally, I see no reason to really upgrade. However, if you have a certain specif goal in mind (144hz competitive gaming, higher mimimum fps, locked 60fps/1080, or such things) just upgrade whatever will to whatever will meet that particular goal.

But if you have some extra funds and you have the upgrade itch, I would recommend to get an ssd and a nice set of headphones/2.1/5.1 sound system or a really comfortable chair. Sure they won't give you more fps at all, but they sure are amazing for the overall experience.

So I now own a r9 270 combined with a g3258 and I was wondering what would be best to upgrade. Run my graphixcard in crossfire with another card or get a new one.

There is quite some room to upgrade in both cases, but it all comes to down to whether or not you feel like upgrading or you are happy with it at the moment.

You shouldn't upgrade if you don't really want or need to.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

As @Mecami says, don't upgrade unless you feel you need to. But for your question, it is tough. I would say CPU though, as anything above a GTX 960 will be a bottleneck. Maybe an i3 or i5, then focus on the GPU later? The R9 270s are still very strong cards @ 1080p.

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Remember when the R9 280 was the HD 7950? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  

Running two AMD Cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Depends. What's your budget? But I think I'd change my CPU first.

Let's say you upgrade your GPU to like a 280x or 290x, you could run into a bottleneck.

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z270i | CPU Intel i7-7700K | RAM Team Vulcan 16GB DDR4 | GPU Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | Storage Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 | PSU Corsair RM750x

So I now own a r9 270 combined with a g3258 and I was wondering what would be best to upgrade. Run my graphixcard in crossfire with another card or get a new one.

Wait for AMD 300 series if you can.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

you're in a kind of hard spot for upgrading. Not because there's no point in upgrding but because you're actually at "decent rig" and this really only leaves one real option for upgrading which is the "true gamer's pc".

Based on your gpu, your next upgrade should ideally be into the 970/290x territory to even make it worthwhile. However, once you decide to do this, you will aslso be in need to upgrade the cpu to match the new gpu. So this also leaves really with only one option which is the forth generation i5 (or i7 if you will be doing other stuff other than gaming).

This will also mean a new monitor if you're running 1080 to take advanget of the new rig.

However, this begs the question of is it really worth it. If you are happy with 1080, your rig does very well for that resolution so, personally, I see no reason to really upgrade. However, if you have a certain specif goal in mind (144hz competitive gaming, higher mimimum fps, locked 60fps/1080, or such things) just upgrade whatever will to whatever will meet that particular goal.

But if you have some extra funds and you have the upgrade itch, I would recommend to get an ssd and a nice set of headphones/2.1/5.1 sound system or a really comfortable chair. Sure they won't give you more fps at all, but they sure are amazing for the overall experience.

Think I'm going for the chair as I already own some dt 990s and have a 120 GB ssd

Your gpu will be fine for awhile but if you ever want to crossfire R9 270s are in $100 price range on eBay.

As for your CPU, an upgrade to an i5 would be your most logical upgrade since you are already on the socket.

I would've suggested getting an athlon 860k + fm2+ mobo but that would the cpst would amount to the cheapest i5 you could get.

junker build in the making