Why doesn't this work?

grimFandingo
Go to solution Solved by rufee,

Well im no expert in Java, but aren't you passing too much parameters into the toString() function ?

Hi I am making a simple Decimal to binary converter with a simple GUI in Java;

However I seem to have hit a snag that I hope one of you will be able to help with.

Main Class:

import javax.swing.JOptionPane;import javax.swing.JFrame;import java.awt.*;import javax.swing.*;public class mainClass{		static int decimal;		public static void main (String[]args){			//Input Box	String decimal =JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Please Enter a Number: ", 				"Decimal to Binary Converter", JOptionPane.PLAIN_MESSAGE);				textBox.createWindow();	}}

GUI Class

import javax.swing.JOptionPane;import javax.swing.JFrame;import java.awt.*;import javax.swing.*;public class textBox {		public static void createWindow(){		JFrame frame = new JFrame("Decimal to Binary Converter");		frame.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE); 		 JLabel textLabel = new JLabel(mainClass.decimal + " In Binary is -> " + Integer.toString(mainClass.decimal, 2,				 SwingConstants.CENTER)); textLabel.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(300, 100)); 				 frame.getContentPane().add(textLabel, BorderLayout.CENTER);				 frame.setLocationRelativeTo(null); 				 frame.pack(); 				 frame.setVisible(true); 				 	}}

on the JFrame textLabel decolarion line above, I get the following error: 

"the method toString (int, int) in the type integer is not applicable for the arguments  (int,  int, int)"

I cannot figure out why

Well im no expert in Java, but aren't you passing too much parameters into the toString() function ?

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

I just deleted some of the parameters and it worked, thanks man!

The result of your program will be

"0 in binary is -> 0" - regardless of what you put in to the input box.

I can tell you why if you'd like?

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer