Issue with GPU reading x4 instead of x16

zolo30

A friend of mine is having an issue where his GTX EVGA 760 is reading at x4 instead of x16 in an ASROCK z87 extreme 4 and i5 4670k any ideas why? I had him try out other slots on his board and they are all reading at X4

A friend of mine is having an issue where his GTX EVGA 760 is reading at x4 instead of x16 in an ASROCK z87 extreme 4 and i5 4670k any ideas why? I had him try out other slots on his board and they are all reading at X4

Did you check in the UEFI that his PCIe slots are set to auto? Usually if they are it will recognize the card with PCIe 3.0 x16.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Did you check in the UEFI that his PCIe slots are set to auto? Usually if they are it will recognize the card with PCIe 3.0 x16.

That did not work.

Do you have any other expansion cards installed? Like a wifi card or something like that?

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Do you have any other expansion cards installed? Like a wifi card or something like that?

no just the GPU

no just the GPU

You could try to flash the UEFI to a newer version.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I am said friend, not worth the risk/hassle of losing everything at this point

I am said friend, not worth the risk/hassle of losing everything at this point

Did you guys try that GPU with another PC?

We have not, but its reletively new (within a year)

Also, in my GPU-Z report, it says im capable of running x16 v 3.0 but im only running 4x v 1.1

Have you checked if it runs at 4x under load? I'm pretty sure my last mobo used to set my card to 2.0x4 or something like that when it wasn't being used, and then would go back to 16x under load. I believe the fix for that was in the bios power settings.

We have not, but its reletively new (within a year)

Also, in my GPU-Z report, it says im capable of running x16 v 3.0 but im only running 4x v 1.1

Have you checked if it runs at 4x under load? I'm pretty sure my last mobo used to set my card to 2.0x4 or something like that when it wasn't being used, and then would go back to 16x under load. I believe the fix for that was in the bios power settings.

In idle modern GPUs set their clock and VRAM and Voltage as well as the PCIe speed back.

Check with GPUz under load please. Did that card run the last year with PCIe 3.0 x16? You should try this card if possible in another PC but it´s likely that if it´s not boosting up that there could be something wrong with the driver. I assume you guys already did a clean driver install?

EDIT: And as a side note it´s always a good idea to post the sepcs of the particular rig.

drivers are up to date, ive also tried it under load, stays at 4.0

edit:  also, im not sure what its been running.  zolo just brought it to my attention that it may be running below so i checked it out and it was

drivers are up to date, ive also tried it under load, stays at 4.0

edit:  also, im not sure what its been running.  zolo just brought it to my attention that it may be running below so i checked it out and it was

Okay there´s a program available.

But I just know that it exists I actually never used it. Here´s a YouTube link to it. You guys could try that. Besides that your performance loss from PCIe 3.0 x4 to PCIe 3.0 x16 should be around 12% with your card.

ran the program, no help

Lets go back to the UEFI stuff in the bios, can you walk me through that?

ran the program, no help

Lets go back to the UEFI stuff in the bios, can you walk me through that?

I would recommend to run the card in another PC and vice versa. Run another GPU on this maonboard.

Give us please the whole PC specs.

checking it another computer is a last resort as we live on opposite sides of the country and i dont have another computer to check it on.  Heres the full specs i think

http://imgur.com/mF0uE4Y

Have you tried running the PCI-e test built into GPU-Z? There's a little arrow right next to the PCI-e reading. If you click it, a GPU stress test will pop up which has an on screen display for PCI-e data. Let it run for a few seconds and see if it changes to x16. My 780 Tis run at PCI-e x4 in Windows but switch to x16 at load. I think it's highly likely your card will do the same thing.

If it stays at x4, there's a chance it's an incorrect reading from your motherboard. I'm not familiar with that chipset or board but certain Asrock mobos and BIOS versions have this bug. You should be able to find more info with a bit of focused Google-fu. If all else fails, run a few benchmarks and compare the results to computers with similar hardware. If the results are similar you can write it off as an annoying bug and forget about it.

*edit* http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1808886found this thread after a quick search and a few more like it. Should be a relatively easy fix with a bit of research.

reseat your GPU

check your motherboard BIOS version, and update to the latest version to make sure your GPU has maximum compability

it could be bad sensors from motherboard

how do you find it out? is this happen with old GPU?

if you won't or can't do it then unfortunately there's nothing we can do.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry at all about this. It is running at 4x but it is using pcie 3.0. Basically this is equivalent to pcie2.0 8x or pcie1.0 16x. But that much bandwidth, You won't even be bottlenecking a titan. Get the HWmonitor run any game you want see how much of the actual bus is being used. I'm guessing it will never go above 40%. This really only becomes a problem if you're running some truly beast cards in multiples.