Keyboard Software Hack?

Go to solution Solved by RedSphyxis,

It's not illegal but you might void your warranty(depends on the manufacturer). You could get the SDK for their lighting so far I did that with razer chroma but I was too lazy to continue experimenting with it.

but some people were successful.

edit: are your sure the software included can't do what you want, already?

Hi, I was wondering if it is illegal or not to "hack" the software/hardware on a keyboard I bought. The keyboard I'm planning on buying has the ability to cast multiple colors but I want it to cast the right ones in specific areas - this does not come by default, I wish to change this. 

It's not illegal but you might void your warranty(depends on the manufacturer). You could get the SDK for their lighting so far I did that with razer chroma but I was too lazy to continue experimenting with it.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Thats allowed. Some keyboards also got their own software that provide you the ability to customize your keyboard (for example some razer/coolermaster/corsair products).If you are able to do so you can do it, nobody can find out if you did it or no too, which means you can do anything you want with it.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 4.6 GHZ 1.392vCore ||||| Cooler: Hyper 212 evo ||||| MOBO: Gigabyte 990XA UD3 REV 3.0 ||||| RAM: Kingston Hyperx Fury (Single channel) 1866 8GB CL10 ||||| GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 1GB ||||| PSU: CoolerMaster G550m 80+ Bronze ||||| SSD: Kingston SSDnow v300 ||||| HDDs: 2x 250gb 1x Wedstern Digital 320gb |||| Case: CoolerMaster Silencio 650 Black Pure Midnight

Hi, I was wondering if it is illegal or not to "hack" the software/hardware on a keyboard I bought. The keyboard I'm planning on buying has the ability to cast multiple colors but I want it to cast the right ones in specific areas - this does not come by default, I wish to change this. 

what keyboard. chances are no its not legal, you did buy it though just dont try to sell it

Yeah actually I'm pretty sure it's just hardware based lights, so I think I can make a program to have absolute function control over it. Thanks for the legal help :)