Plugging in PSU cables while PSU is plugged in

sina

Just a small question, not specific to any hardware: if you take a PSU and then hook up the 24 pin connector to the motherboard (while the switch is on and the PSU is connected to the power socket), does it actually damage the motherboard?

Curious because a friend did this (it was the last thing he plugged in for some reason). Hasn't gotten back to me yet but I'm still wondering what could have happened afterwards.

School machine: 2012 MacBook Pro, i7-3720QM, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 256GB SSD, GeForce GT 650M

Gaming machine: Asus X99 Deluxe, i7-5820K, H100i, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 256GB 850 Pro, 2x WD10EZEX, GeForce GTX 980, AX860

Nothing really.

As long as the computer wasn't turned on.

Its like flipping the mains switch to your TV over and over again.

As far as he told me, there was some kind of small spark between the cable and 24 pin port as he was plugging it in. Should've been OK with that too?

School machine: 2012 MacBook Pro, i7-3720QM, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 256GB SSD, GeForce GT 650M

Gaming machine: Asus X99 Deluxe, i7-5820K, H100i, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 256GB 850 Pro, 2x WD10EZEX, GeForce GTX 980, AX860

Just a small question, not specific to any hardware: if you take a PSU and then hook up the 24 pin connector to the motherboard (while the switch is on and the PSU is connected to the power socket), does it actually damage the motherboard?

Curious because a friend did this (it was the last thing he plugged in for some reason). Hasn't gotten back to me yet but I'm still wondering what could have happened afterwards.

It shouldn't. But then again it is recommended for you to turn off the specific power socket you're plugging in the PSU and have the switch turned off as well.

That way static is discharged and there's absolutely no chance of having power passing through.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

It shouldn't. But then again it is recommended for you to turn off the specific power socket you're plugging in the PSU and have the switch turned off as well.

That way static is discharged and there's absolutely no chance of having power passing through.

Should be fine as long as he didn't keep doing it over and over again. Best to have the mains turned off when hooking up the PSU. You don't want to get zapped by mains power. And why risk the computer as well.

Fair enough, I'll relay the info to him (and make sure I'm there next time he does this). Thanks guys!