Windows Detected a Hard Disk Problem

Dariru
Go to solution Solved by Mighty_Miro_WD,
Hi there @Dariru!

Reallocated Sector Count in SMART test is quite important as an indicator of bad sectors and a dying drive.

Reallocated sector basically means that your hard drive found a bad sector, and swapped it with a 'reserve pool' of sectors. After this swap, the medium should be free of bad sectors to the operating system. It's a technology designed to make failing sectors on the HDD cause no trouble for the operating system because it'll just swap a new one whenever it finds that a particular sector is becoming weak (because it takes more time to read that sector than normal).

I would suggest to backup any important data you have there and replace the drive, or if it's still under warranty you can RMA it from here:

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

My Acer V7 laptop with a WD Black SSHD WD5000L12X-21UJGT0 has been getting the error "Windows Detected a Hard Disk Problem". I have run Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics to test the drive. The results given was a pass for the extended test, but a fail for the SMART status due to the Reallocated Sector Count being 139 while the threshold is 140. How concerned should I be about this hard drive?

Note that this laptop is a secondary computer used mainly for school and does not contain any important files that are not backed up onto dropbox and on the main computer.

Hi there @Dariru!

Reallocated Sector Count in SMART test is quite important as an indicator of bad sectors and a dying drive.

Reallocated sector basically means that your hard drive found a bad sector, and swapped it with a 'reserve pool' of sectors. After this swap, the medium should be free of bad sectors to the operating system. It's a technology designed to make failing sectors on the HDD cause no trouble for the operating system because it'll just swap a new one whenever it finds that a particular sector is becoming weak (because it takes more time to read that sector than normal).

I would suggest to backup any important data you have there and replace the drive, or if it's still under warranty you can RMA it from here:

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/