Intel Cherry Picking

Hello!

As you may know cherry picking CPUs have occured for a long while now. I want to cherry pick a 3770k for my build. 

I have found this guide to cherry picking CPUs in the Ivy Bridge Series (http://pc.ayumilove.net/list-of-intel-cpu-batch-number/)

through the batch number. I was wondering if this was a very effective way to find a very pure CPU. I want to get an overclocking potential with little voltage and high clocks. Now my question varies from is this effecive? What stepping is the best? 

NOTE: I will be liquid cooling the build, Swiftech H220 with an Asus P8Z77-V LK.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Hello!

As you may know cherry picking CPUs have occured for a long while now. I want to cherry pick a 3770k for my build. 

I have found this guide to cherry picking CPUs in the Ivy Bridge Series (http://pc.ayumilove.net/list-of-intel-cpu-batch-number/)

through the batch number. I was wondering if this was a very effective way to find a very pure CPU. I want to get an overclocking potential with little voltage and high clocks. Now my question varies from is this effecive? What stepping is the best? 

NOTE: I will be liquid cooling the build, Swiftech H220 with an Asus P8Z77-V LK.

Gl even attempting to get a decent cherry picked CPU, unless you can get the serials for brand NEW ones then GG.

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

You can see the batch number on the ones sealed, but i think that running an eye-check for these CPU's will take time... and it's not guaranteed, you can try to buy an used one that you know runs at higher clocks, but you get the risk of it already being degraded by the previous owner that aknowledged how good it was.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

You can see the batch nuber on the ones sealed, but i think that running an eye-check for thise CPU's will take time... and it's not guaranteed, you can try to buy an used one that you know runs at higher clocks, but you get the risk of it already being degraded by the previous owner that aknowledged how good it was.

Is there a possible site to get very new and high quality chip? And how effective is this process?

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

My dads brother works for a finnish computer hardware store, and i bought a cherry piked 8350 from him.

I got it stable at 5.3Ghz easily, but i am keeping it @5.1Ghz.

(I payed 250€ for it)

Is there a possible site to get very new and high quality chip? And how effective is this process?

You can't test the time a CPU had been run (not to my knowledge) so the best method is buying a new one, sealed, a tested/demoed on in a store/ one from somebody you personally know has been using it for a short period of time.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

My dads brother works for a finnish computer hardware store, and i bought a cherry piked 8350 from him.

I got it stable at 5.3Ghz easily, but i am keeping it @5.1Ghz.

(I payed 250€ for it)

Welcome back! What is that the equivalent to? from AMD to Intel of course. And what is that running at normally?

Welcome back! What is that the equivalent to? from AMD to Intel of course. And what is that running at normally?

Equivalent to a 3570k, stock at 4.0 ghz.

Equivalent to a 3570k, stock at 4.0 thz

wait. Is there such thing as a 3570k stable at that?!

Nope, i meant both stock...

All i am saying is that you can call to some local store and reguest cherry picked CPU. :)

All i am saying is that you can call to some local store and reguest cherry picked CPU. :)

Well does Tigerdirect offer that? 

yeah, this is not a "common" service taht they offer, so don't approach it as it's an usual thing :))

yeah, this is not a "common" service taht they offer, so don't approach it as it's an usual thing :))

Any place where it is a "usual" thing? :D

I only ever had luck picking up the latest batch by going in person to a store. Such as Monarch Computers (when they existed) or now....Frys and Microcenter.  Unless you can go in person most will tell you no. Just from my experience.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

I only ever had luck picking up the latest batch by going in person to a store. Such as Monarch Computers (when they existed) or now....Frys and Microcenter.  Unless you can go in person most will tell you no. Just from my experience.

Basically this ^^

Basically this ^^

So you are saying if i do go in person then they could possibly give me a cherry picked one? Or do they give me an array to cherry pick myself?

So you are saying if i do go in person then they could possibly give me a cherry picked one? Or do they give me an array to cherry pick myself?

To pick yourself based on the batch number on the sealed box, nothing more(i think)

To pick yourself based on the batch number on the sealed box, nothing more(i think)

Do you believe the guide is acually useful? If so what stepping for high clocks with stabability?

Depends on what kind of customer support you get really. Sometimes you get taken back to pick yourself....sometimes they ask what batch and they look through their most recent inventory.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Depends on what kind of customer support you get really. Sometimes you get taken back to pick yourself....sometimes they ask what batch and they look through their most recent inventory.

By batch you mean like what exactly?

EDIT: OK i understand. What is the most recommended batch they could possibly have?

Erm....? Batch is explained in the link you posted. http://pc.ayumilove.net/list-of-intel-cpu-batch-number/

It is the number on the box and chip. It is how you identify when the chip was made....and most overclockers go by batch week when comparing with one another along with where it was made when they are "cherry picking" a chip.

Are you trolling? Cause your signature says you've hit 7.889Ghz by Liquid Helium and if that is this case this should be elementary knowledge.

Generally the later the week, the better the chip....generally. Most overclockers go for Malaysia made chips also.

Erm....? Batch is explained in the link you posted. http://pc.ayumilove.net/list-of-intel-cpu-batch-number/

It is the number on the box and chip. It is how you identify when the chip was made....and most overclockers go by batch week when comparing with one another along with where it was made when they are "cherry picking" a chip.

Are you trolling? Cause your signature says you've hit 7.889Ghz by Liquid Helium and if that is this case this should be elementary knowledge.

LOL i know sorry i've just been so out of thought recently. Yes i have but that was one that my friend brought over. We quickly setup and i started tests. No troll. 

I'm just not really focusing much nowadays since I'm out of school. My apologies!