moving "users" off the SSD onto the storage drive?

legodude
Go to solution Solved by ChineseChef,

hi guys

just built a new PC for my parents and it uses a 60gb SSD for the boot drive, plus a 1tb as a storage drive, problem is after installing drivers there is only 11gb left on the, can I move the the users containing pictures/videos/downloads to the storage drive? if so how?

You can't move the users folder itself.  You can move the main folders within your user profile folder.  Such as the My Documents and videos and all of those.

Open your user folder c:\users\yourusernamehere\

Right click on one of the folders in there (such as My Docs/Videos/music), go to properties, "Location" tab, and click the move button.

I do this for mine, it will give you the option to just copy the contents, or actually move them.  Select move, and either select or create a new folder on your storage drive for them.

hi guys

just built a new PC for my parents and it uses a 60gb SSD for the boot drive, plus a 1tb as a storage drive, problem is after installing drivers there is only 11gb left on the, can I move the the users containing pictures/videos/downloads to the storage drive? if so how?

Corsair 650D, i5-4690K (Corsair h50 cooler), Asus ROG maximus VII Ranger, Asus GTX 980ti Strix, 16GB Corsair Vengeance pro series Red (2x8gb 2400mhz), Corsair HX850W, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sennheiser HD595 / Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohm, Samsung 850 pro 128GB / WD black/blue/green, OCZ vertex 3 60gb . Corsair M40/Corsair k70.

I don't think you can move the whole users folder but if you right click on for example My Documents and go to Properties and then the Location tab you can specify it to be stored in a different location. (win8.1)

hi guys

You can't move the users folder itself.  You can move the main folders within your user profile folder.  Such as the My Documents and videos and all of those.

Right click on one of the folders in there (such as My Docs/Videos/music), go to properties, "Location" tab, and click the move button.

I do this for mine, it will give you the option to just copy the contents, or actually move them.  Select move, and either select or create a new folder on your storage drive for them.

brill, thanks mate :)

Corsair 650D, i5-4690K (Corsair h50 cooler), Asus ROG maximus VII Ranger, Asus GTX 980ti Strix, 16GB Corsair Vengeance pro series Red (2x8gb 2400mhz), Corsair HX850W, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sennheiser HD595 / Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohm, Samsung 850 pro 128GB / WD black/blue/green, OCZ vertex 3 60gb . Corsair M40/Corsair k70.

hi guys

Actually you can move the user profiles. During or after install.

Here's the tutorial:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.