Reusing current Windows

russian1337

Hi everyone!

This may be a stupid question but I just wanted to make sure. 

I currently have a computer that I bought premade (Ibuypower) and it obviously came with a copy of windows.

My question is, if I am building a new computer, can I use the windows key from my current computer?

Thanks for your help

Check what it says on license label. If it has iBUYPOWER on label itself you can't use it or need to do some special tricks that is usually linked in these questions. If its only OEM, you can use it as is.

E: Applies to Win7, I have no experience of Win8 or newer.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Hi everyone!

This may be a stupid question but I just wanted to make sure. 

I currently have a computer that I bought premade (Ibuypower) and it obviously came with a copy of windows.

My question is, if I am building a new computer, can I use the windows key from my current computer?

Thanks for your help

Have a read of this.

http://lifehacker.com/5958507/uninstall-your-windows-product-key-so-you-can-use-the-license-on-another-pc

OEM copies (yours came with the PC,.. this is the OEM one) are generally a no go from what I've read and only store bought ones can do this..

Happy to be proven wrong,.. I've not bought a pre-built ever...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Occasionally it works (though you have to call ms) i did this on my moms computer told them the mobo fried and i had to replace it and upgraded a few parts as well. (licsense had come from an old dell pre built.)