Spare server

Didn't know where else to really put this so here it is. I've got a spare dual Xeon L5420 16GB DDR2 1TB server sitting in a data centre doing absolutely nothing. I've put forward an offer to someone so they can use it for something but if that doesn't work out I don't quite know what to do with it. Off site data backup? Only problem is it's only a 1TB drive...

Ideas?

You could try hosting a minecraft server? I could help you if you want (I own a few servers).

Make it an FTP server? Use it to store data? 1TB is enough.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

You could use it to backup only your system drives if 1TB is not enough to backup everything for you.

There are many applications you could use it for. VPN server, web hosting server, email server, game server, VOIP server, personal cloud storage, etc.

It's a powerful server so there are many possibilities!

If it has a fixed IP address that doesn't change, it's really handy as a jump server to other servers.

You can play with virtualization (like kvm, virtualbox, etc) on it, with 16G RAM you can install like 2-3 bigger, or maybe 4-5 smaller VMs, run services, test stuff, learn ;)

If you do decide to host a server on it make sure you have a decent enough internet, or it will be too slow.
1 GB/S port averaging about 70-100 megabytes down but speed tests won't show the up :(

You could use it to backup only your system drives if 1TB is not enough to backup everything for you.
16 GB of RAM is a bit overpowered for just a backup server.

If you do decide to host a server on it make sure you have a decent enough internet, or it will be too slow.
That's because speedtest.net doesn't show speedtests above 1000 Mbit/s

Support gamebanana.com :)

I have a dual L5420 16GB ram multi-purpose server in a data center and I am a large mirror there. Currently using around 600GB of my drive and it ends up going to around 10TB transfer per month

I have a dual L5420 16GB ram multi-purpose server in a data center and I am a large mirror there. Currently using around 600GB of my drive and it ends up going to around 10TB transfer per month

Think about three - looking forward to getting it seeing as it's an 08 model. Yourself?

Just paid my 5th a few days ago, this SSD will be my third drive in the system, want to get a 4th before i get it shipped to me, currently 500GB and a 1TB in it

How are you finding the I/O speeds? Fast enough for you?

sequential is fine from the drives, but I'm looking for more IOPS. I can usually push 600Mbit from the server when a ton of people download a file at once, but sustained is more like 200Mbit.

try folding with it...
(Folding@Home)

Hey, I would PM you but there's a bug so I can't - what's the deal with installing our own hardware? I need to chuck a couple of WD blacks in for more space, are there fees or do we just tell them and send it?

use it as a minecraft server install multicraft and you can make alot of money from it :D eg charge per amount ram they want for a 2GB server you can charge about 15 dollars a month

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Open a ticket and ask, I asked about sending in a SSD or leasing one with the server, they said both options were available, but only quoted me for the lease