What laptop is best for college? (~800 USD)?

Dubesta11

I already have a good gaming desktop that I will be bringing with me to collage for most performance applications. What would be a good idea for a portable laptop for college needs? They recomended this last year, which I assume means they don't really care what you have, as long as it runs decently fast: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-423946U-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B004URCE4O

So what should I get? My parents have a marketplace online that gets deals from Lenovo and Dell. I think a 15 inch laptop would be pushing the size boundary, but 13 inches would be the absolute minimum. As long as it has a 1080p screen and can handle minecraft at above 60FPS, the performance should be good enough. Ideas?

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

If it will be your only computer at college you WANT a 15.6 inch screen. 

anything less and minecraft and other games will be horrible.

That said Focus primarily on the CPU compare them to other laptops and pick the best based on that.

Don't be tied down to a brand IMO, but know that good brands typically have good warranties as well.  (Do some research on warranties)

oh...and i got a 3210m for way less (than that link) two full years ago now...so look around a bit

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

If it will be your only computer at college you WANT a 15.6 inch screen. 

anything less and minecraft and other games will be horrible.

That said Focus primarily on the CPU compare them to other laptops and pick the best based on that.

Don't be tied down to a brand IMO, but know that good brands typically have good warranties as well.  (Do some research on warranties)

oh...and i got a 3210m for way less (than that link) two full years ago now...so look around a bit

I was looking at a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with an i7-5500u @ 3.00GHz, HD 5500, 1080p IPS touch 15 inch screen, and weighs around 4.5 pounds. All for 800 dollars. I assume it would be great for schoolwork on the go and possibly some light gaming. 

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

I was looking at a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with an i7-5500u @ 3.00GHz, HD 5500, 1080p IPS touch 15 inch screen, and weighs around 4.5 pounds. All for 800 dollars. I assume it would be great for schoolwork on the go and possibly some light gaming. 

looks fairly good another cpu to check out is the 4550u as you might find a better deal on a laptop with that processor

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

tbh i would suggest looking for the best battery life possible. If you have a desktop, you dont need to get a beefy laptop and any modern mobile cpu (i5 or so) is good enough. That's just my advice.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

tbh i would suggest looking for the best battery life possible. If you have a desktop, you dont need to get a beefy laptop and any modern mobile cpu (i5 or so) is good enough. That's just my advice.

Would that be more in the ultrabook range? I would only need 4-5 hours maximum of light web browsing, and some power for lightweight games on the go (or on the couch).

The Grey Squirrel

I already have a good gaming desktop that I will be bringing with me to collage for most performance applications. What would be a good idea for a portable laptop for college needs? They recomended this last year, which I assume means they don't really care what you have, as long as it runs decently fast: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-423946U-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B004URCE4O

So what should I get? My parents have a marketplace online that gets deals from Lenovo and Dell. I think a 15 inch laptop would be pushing the size boundary, but 13 inches would be the absolute minimum. As long as it has a 1080p screen and can handle minecraft at above 60FPS, the performance should be good enough. Ideas?

get a Lenovo y40 or if you can spend a bit more get a lenovo y50 but y40 is really good

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/?menu-id=y_series

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

get a Lenovo y40 or if you can spend a bit more get a lenovo y50 but y40 is really good

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/?menu-id=y_series

I really don't want a gaming laptop, but more of a macbook styled body.

The Grey Squirrel

I really don't want a gaming laptop, but more of a macbook styled body.

then if you want that get the new macbook with one port

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Would that be more in the ultrabook range? I would only need 4-5 hours maximum of light web browsing, and some power for lightweight games on the go (or on the couch).

ya an ultrabook, why not the Lenovo Yoga 3? I don't know the max price (ur willing to go) but if you can get a discount on one, its a nice deal imo.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)