1440p 144Hz OR 4k OR 1080p surround?

Tai Tran

I will be building a new gaming rig and I never thought this would be something that is going to confuse me. I first was confused between surround and 4k and now I just realized I forgot about asus rog swift. I've never had any experience with any of these monitors so I don't know which one I would like and which one is going to be the best. Can anybody who already used these monitors give me some opinions or advice? I play mostly BF4 and FPS games or 3rd person games.

I will be building a new gaming rig and I never thought this would be something that is going to confuse me. I first was confused between surround and 4k and now I just realized I forgot about asus rog swift. I've never had any experience with any of these monitors so I don't know which one I would like and which one is going to be the best. Can anybody who already used these monitors give me some opinions or advice? I play mostly BF4 and FPS games or 3rd person games.

It depends on what you want. We can't tell you what you'd like. Personally, I'd say the 1440p swift is the best of both worlds.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

144hz all the way. If you want surround try to go for a 144hz surround setup. The smoothness of 144hz is amazing, once you get used to it, 60fps gameplay looks like a choppy pile of shit.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

It depends on what you want. We can't tell you what you'd like. Personally, I'd say the 1440p swift is the best of both worlds.

the peanut butter and jelly of monitors

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

For purely gaming, the Swift is a good choice, GSync is something you won't want to go without after using it. 4K needs some pretty serious hardware to run well, same with surround, plus the issue with support for it in games. 

From an everyday and productivity standpoint, 3x 1080p is the way to go for sure. Multiple monitors is not something I can deal without anymore, it's so useful to be able to have multiple things fullscreened. 4K has a lot of space for stuff on screen, but having 4 windows on a 28" or so monitor just makes it hard to read text, rather than helping. 

144hz all the way. If you want surround try to go for a 144hz surround setup. The smoothness of 144hz is amazing, once you get used to it, 60fps gameplay looks like a choppy pile of shit.

I would say you're wrong there. 3x 1440p needs a crazy rig to run above 60fps all the time lol. If I do so, I would just buy normal 60Hz 1440p monitors so it would makes more sense.

For purely gaming, the Swift is a good choice, GSync is something you won't want to go without after using it. 4K needs some pretty serious hardware to run well, same with surround, plus the issue with support for it in games. 

From an everyday and productivity standpoint, 3x 1080p is the way to go for sure. Multiple monitors is not something I can deal without anymore, it's so useful to be able to have multiple things fullscreened. 4K has a lot of space for stuff on screen, but having 4 windows on a 28" or so monitor just makes it hard to read text, rather than helping. 

This is what I've been thinking about. I really like 3x1080p when I heard about it and watch tons of review about it on youtube. But then the rog swift makes me kind wonder what would it be like to play way above 60fps. 4k seems to be the worse choice here after all.

I was thinking about doing 4K but after getting surround 1080p I would go with that, you can muti task and do a lot more. Watch a movie, play a game, AND monitor your temps. It's amazing! 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

I would say you're wrong there. 3x 1440p needs a crazy rig to run above 60fps all the time lol. If I do so, I would just buy normal 60Hz 1440p monitors so it would makes more sense.

3x 1440? I didn't mention 1440p even once in my post. I said 3x 144hz,   not a single mention of resolution.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

As much as I know how amazing a surround setup look, I personally still won't use all 3 monitors for playing a single game. I have tried it once at my friend's apartment, and I couldn't take it for more than 30 minutes. I just got kinda dizzy looking at 3 monitors for a long period of time, especially when playing fps games like Battlefield 4 and Bioshock Infinite. I can only see the benefit of multiple monitor setup for multitasking and productivity stuff, maybe if you want to do livestreaming, you can game on one monitor and use the rest for opening stream chat or web browsing or whatever.

As for the resolution of the monitor that you're going with, it really comes down to personal preference. I personally still consider the 1080p to be the 'sweet spot' resolution for gaming. I don't see a real benefit going from 1080p monitor to 2k monitor or even 4k monitor in gaming, especially when your eyes are relatively close to the monitor. Don't get me wrong, I didn't say 2k or 4k monitor is bad for gaming, I just don't really think of them as an 'upgrade' at the moment, especially when I can hardly max out games on those res and maintain 60fps++ without having to spend a lot of money for multi-GPU config or just a really powerful single GPU like the Titan X. For movies however, bigger monitor might be beneficial because when I watch movies I'd rather enjoy it from a distance where I can lay back and relax, but I already have another setup for that so.. yeah..

To answer your question, if it was too much to read, I'd recommend the triple 1080p monitor setup, use one for gaming and the other two for multitasking. If you can afford 3 144Hz 1080p monitors, I'd say go for it.

Those are my personal opinion based on my personal experience, so I hope it's somewhat helping.

"Yippie-ki-yay motherf**ker!"  ~John McClane