NTFS Permissions Issue....

Go to solution Solved by xAcid9,

Downloa RepairWindow software from BleepingComputer. Tick repair permission and u're good to go.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Back story: I ended up installing a program that wasn't sandboxed or in a virtual machine. It installed the nasty malware/adware Cloud something..Took me all day to get rid of it with a system restore. Upon my system restore, my registry was altered to where I couldn't get the GUI start menu to work on Windows.

So here is my issue: a while back i found this NTFS permission tool and had to change some files so i could copy and paste. Now my problem is that I have ALL these folders across multiple hard drives that belong to the older account.

Resolution:
I'm having to go through each folder, subfolder to grant the permission to "everyone" or to the "Current user" I'm specifially choosing everyone for future problems.

There has to be an easier way to do this..... Any tools that can change the permission to what I want it to be so I do not have to go through the subfolders. I have 4 hard drives. and lord only knows how many subfolders.

"Overdrive" | My Desktop PC:  Case: Corsair 750D | CPU:  I7-4790K | Motherboard:  Asus z97 Deluxe NFC & WLC | CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i Push Pull | Memory/Ram:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 1600mhz  OS Disk| SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250Gb ; Storage Disc:  HDD: 1 WD 3tb Black |  Graphics Card: EVGA 780Ti Superclocked  ACX | Corsair AXi 860w
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peripherals: Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Logitech G13 Gaming Keyboard | Mouse: Logitech G700s | Speakers: Logitech z506 | Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro Medium | Monitors: ASUS Pro Art 248Q  | Calibration: Xrite i1 Display Pro | Printer: Coming Soon

Does the tick box "Replace all child objects with permissions..." not work when doing this at the root of C?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Failing that you can do it with a simple batch script, I've used something similar for another situation before. It could take a while though.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Does the tick box "Replace all child objects with permissions..." not work when doing this at the root of C?

I don't think you can do it on the root of each drive but you could select all and do this.

if you schedule a chkdsk for next boot it can actually fix some of these it will remove permissions for non-recognised users and should reset the system and built in admin account permissions at the very least.

I don't think you can do it on the root of each drive but you could select all and do this.

if you schedule a chkdsk for next boot it can actually fix some of these it will remove permissions for non-recognised users and should reset the system and built in admin account permissions at the very least.

You can I already checked, go into the root of C: and right click in blank space and properties.

Chkdsk may also work!

Yes I did do it at the root of my drives. It still did not grant the sub folders all the permissions needed for other programs to access them. 

Edit: that wasn't done using a command prompt or script. 

Edited by E.Beadle

"Overdrive" | My Desktop PC:  Case: Corsair 750D | CPU:  I7-4790K | Motherboard:  Asus z97 Deluxe NFC & WLC | CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i Push Pull | Memory/Ram:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 1600mhz  OS Disk| SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250Gb ; Storage Disc:  HDD: 1 WD 3tb Black |  Graphics Card: EVGA 780Ti Superclocked  ACX | Corsair AXi 860w
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peripherals: Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Logitech G13 Gaming Keyboard | Mouse: Logitech G700s | Speakers: Logitech z506 | Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro Medium | Monitors: ASUS Pro Art 248Q  | Calibration: Xrite i1 Display Pro | Printer: Coming Soon

Downloa RepairWindow software from BleepingComputer. Tick repair permission and u're good to go.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |