I have been asked by my father to build a home/work server for him. EXCLUDING drives it should be under $1000. He does not want a normal pc case he would like rack mount as that is what he uses at work (database engineer) and would like to be able to use the home one as a testing ground/play space lol We would like to be able to put at least 20 drives in it, currently we have 12 drives that will be transferred and we need more storage. Board size does not matter, U amount is not super important but don't go crazy with it, 8-16 U max? List away 

He is probably more qualified to choose parts for rack-mounted servers than most of us on LTT.

I dont know of any motherboard within pricerange that supports 20 drives or more.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

He is probably more qualified to choose parts for rack-mounted servers than most of us on LTT.

I dont know of any motherboard within pricerange that supports 20 drives or more.

He work for the gov so, he does not buy them and has zero clue what to even look at and where. He knows how to work and operate them not buy sadly. The motherboard was my big question too, I was thinking maybe like a sata splitter since HDDs run slower than sata 3 allows.

**Edit** Maybe a sata pci-e cardwould work instead of a splitter 

He work for the gov so, he does not buy them and has zero clue what to even look at and where. He knows how to work and operate them not buy sadly. The motherboard was my big question too, I was thinking maybe like a sata splitter since HDDs run slower than sata 3 allows.

**Edit** Maybe a sata pci-e cardwould work instead of a splitter 

Raid cards should work, But if he needs a server grade one it wont be cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007607%20600022734%20600362374%20600022730%20600362375%20600417234%20600022723%20600022720%20600022724%20600122966

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I am willing to bet he has some raid cards just sitting around, since he has almost everything cable,connector, adapter or anything from the last 20 years you might need other than lighting and thunderbolt. I will check with him