First ever PC build for a heavy laptop user

Hello people of linustechtips forum, I'm a newly registered member here looking for some guidance for my first pc build.

First off, a little about me. I've been a laptop user for years now, never owned a desktop in my life. I'm a heavy coder, and also a heavy user of photoshop and generally most of the software included in the adobe creative cloud. Other than that, I do plan to game a lot with this PC, so that is also a big consideration when picking parts for this pc. Essentially, the reason why im choosing to build a pc now is because im getting sick with never having the ability to upgrade my laptop, and having to buy a new laptop everytime the hardware of my laptop gets outdated (which it is pretty much now).

I'm very new in the PC scene, so im not too sure what parts to pick and if the parts will be compatible with each other (is that even a thing?). My budget is $1000usd, but I prefer not to reach that so I think the sweet spot would be around $500 - $800. This budget ofc wont include other peripherals such as mouse, keyboard, etc. Also note, that I do play a lot of triple a games, so i would hope that this build could at least play the games at high settings at a decent framerate. 

Also to note, despite me stating above that my budget is in US dollars, im not actually in the US or canada, so shipping is a massive factor for me as I don't trust myself (or the vendors) to buy the parts locally. 

So guys, any suggestion on what parts i should get to make the most out of my budget.

Thank you for your time guys :)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($42.98 @ Newegg) 

Storage: PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($93.33 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($204.99 @ Amazon) 

Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $805.25

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-13 08:29 EDT-0400

you can get them cheaper in fry's or microcenter

Hello people of linustechtips forum, I'm a newly registered member here looking for some guidance for my first pc build.

First off, a little about me. I've been a laptop user for years now, never owned a desktop in my life. I'm a heavy coder, and also a heavy user of photoshop and generally most of the software included in the adobe creative cloud. Other than that, I do plan to game a lot with this PC, so that is also a big consideration when picking parts for this pc. Essentially, the reason why im choosing to build a pc now is because im getting sick with never having the ability to upgrade my laptop, and having to buy a new laptop everytime the hardware of my laptop gets outdated (which it is pretty much now).

I'm very new in the PC scene, so im not too sure what parts to pick and if the parts will be compatible with each other (is that even a thing?). My budget is $1000usd, but I prefer not to reach that so I think the sweet spot would be around $500 - $800. This budget ofc wont include other peripherals such as mouse, keyboard, etc. Also note, that I do play a lot of triple a games, so i would hope that this build could at least play the games at high settings at a decent framerate. 

Also to note, despite me stating above that my budget is in US dollars, im not actually in the US or canada, so shipping is a massive factor for me as I don't trust myself (or the vendors) to buy the parts locally. 

So guys, any suggestion on what parts i should get to make the most out of my budget.

Thank you for your time guys :)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Micro Center) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($88.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($329.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I ID ATX Mid Tower Case  ($32.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $1020.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-13 08:30 EDT-0400

This will allow you to OC, and have alot of headroom for future SLI and all :3

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Micro Center) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($88.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($329.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I ID ATX Mid Tower Case  ($32.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $1020.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-13 08:30 EDT-0400

This will allow you to OC, and have alot of headroom for future SLI and all :3

the budget is max of $800 not $1000 

the budget is max of $800 not $1000 

He said the budget is 1000$, he just prefer it to be 800$ :P read it carefully :P

Anyway I dont think there's any point saving like 200$ and you have to upgrade it sooner, so just go with the max budget he can :3

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

He said the budget is 1000$, he just prefer it to be 800$ :P read it carefully :P

Anyway I dont think there's any point saving like 200$ and you have to upgrade it sooner, so just go with the max budget he can :3

the mobo does not need to be that expensive, it just need to work in my opinion and why need a gaming class board if xeons can't overclock

the mobo does not need to be that expensive, it just need to work in my opinion and why need a gaming class board if xeons can't overclock

2 reason I go for that mobo: 2 ways SLI support and look :P mainly the first one though. 

2 reason I go for that mobo: 2 ways SLI support and look :P mainly the first one though. 

also if you read carefully he only need's to run on high at decent fps and IMO saving $200 is much better than getting an extra 15 frames and some nice looks

also if you read carefully he only need's to run on high at decent fps and IMO saving $200 is much better than getting an extra 15 frames and some nice looks

I agree with this guy. If you care about look so much just save $10 and get a case without a window.

Here's the build with a hdd

Storage: PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($91.99 @ Mwave) 
Total: $850.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-13 08:53 EDT-0400

Here's the build with a hdd

Total: $850.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-13 08:53 EDT-0400

This build seems really good. Personally, i'd go with a case without a window to save some cash and put it to a bigger psu and better gpu however.

This build seems really good. Personally, i'd go with a case without a window to save some cash and put it to a bigger psu and better gpu however.

a 500w psu and a 970?

a 500w psu and a 970?

Hey, just for head room. So you don;t need to buy a whole new psu if upgrade.

Like this?

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $877.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-13 08:58 EDT-0400

I little up for comfort but I hate making builds that don't look sweet (personal weakness) anyway it's a white and black build, so much contrast!

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($107.43 @ Amazon) 
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($80.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($183.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($67.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $953.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-13 09:42 EDT-0400

Review on that PSU, it's the 750 model but same difference, summery is it only barely holds 80+ gold but for 61 bucks!? Not bad.

Edit: Just noticed your not from the US or Canada, might make things a wee bit difficult on the shipping/actually getting the damn parts.

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.61 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($81.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($213.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ Micro Center) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N10 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($8.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $839.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-13 10:05 EDT-0400

Considering I recently went through this process, let me ask a couple of qualifying questions.

1. Is your budget lifetime firm? (Are you planning on upgrading as you go over the life of your rig.)

If yes, then im too assume in a couple years your just gonna sell this one off and restart.

If no, then can we agree that having a budget under 1,000 takes aesthetics out of the ball park but you can still have an awesomely functional rig.

2. What about a rig that comes in under your 800$ limit w/ no graphics card?

The idea being that you could spend some more on your PSU, CPU and MOBO. Allowing for greater upgrade range and longer relevant life of your rig.

I did this by purchasing a Intel chip with graphics included. I used my rig for CAD and other productivity based software. After 3 months, I purchased a gtx980. I did not plan on spending that much on my graphics card when I first started, however now im really happy I waited and got into my rig before I purchased my Gcard.

My thought process on pc building has changed entirley since I was in your shoes.

I see a lot of valid points above on the intricacies of pc componets. My thought is that you may need a build expectation plan, more than a

build purchase list.

"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast"

"Master of Pelvic Sorcery"