Which Headset Should I Get

bradhchen

So what headset would you guys recommend? Open or closed is fine. Sub $200.

Thanks

+1 for @Emperor suggesting the ATH-M50, very very very great set of headphones. 

I would personally get the SteelSeries 9H when they come out, because I just love steelseires headsets so much 

http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-9h

Also, the Sennheisers PC350 and PC360 are both extremely good headsets.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

grab the 7H from steelseries spec wise its better than the 9H and all their other new ones otherwise man up and pic this up http://amzn.to/13p0Yeo

grab the 7H from steelseries spec wise its better than the 9H and all their other new ones otherwise man up and pic this up http://amzn.to/13p0Yeo

Why would 7H be better than the 9H? Yes, 7H has 50mm drivers and 9H 40mm drivers but that doesn't mean that 7H would have better sound quality. 9H has Steelseries' own drivers and since their Flux In-ear Pros (which have also Steelsries' own drivers) have had some excellent reviews I have quite big expectations for them. I would personally wait until some 9H reviews come out and then make the decision between them.

Also something to consider is that 7H isn't very durable. The plastic around the spots where the headset brake to three pieces for travelling brakes easily. My brothers both 7Hs have broken there (first ones had a mic problem and they were replaced by warranty). 9H on the other hand seems very durable but you can't brake it to pieces.

9H also has some neat features like swappable cable ends so that you can use the microphone with your phone etc. But it's your decision, 9H is a lot more expensive than 7H. And if you have 200$ to spent there might be also other good option like Sennheisers...

Why would 7H be better than the 9H? Yes, 7H has 50mm drivers and 9H 40mm drivers but that doesn't mean that 7H would have better sound quality. 9H has Steelseries' own drivers and since their Flux In-ear Pros (which have also Steelsries' own drivers) have had some excellent reviews I have quite big expectations for them. I would personally wait until some 9H reviews come out and then make the decision between them.

look at the tech specs if you know how to head ones dealing with speakers.

I went to the US site the site seems broke cant get to spec's or gallery or anything.

well the SNR is slightly better and nearly always when dealing with headphones and bigger speaker will sound better mor often than not.

Also the 9H seem to have the same speakers as the 5Hv3 so i would just get the 5Hv3 unless you want the better build quality. The main problem with the 5Hv2's were the sound quality, the build quality wasnt great. The siberia v2 finally changed that with its 50mm drives and took the retractable mic from the Siberia Neckbad (which by the way was horrible if you had glasses). I still didnt like the Siberia v2 as its built rather cheaply and its open. In most cases when im using a headset I want to immerse myself and a open headphone design just doesnt allow for that. Once they fully close off the 5Hv2's cups and stuck in the Siberia V2's speakers I found they had a perfect combo in the 7H. There are 2 downsides to the 7H it can be tight on the head for some and the build quality is still plastic.

Also something to consider is that 7H isn't very durable. The plastic around the spots where the headset brake to three pieces for travelling brakes easily. My brothers both 7Hs have broken there (first ones had a mic problem and they were replaced by warranty). 9H on the other hand seems very durable but you can't brake it to pieces.

9H also has some neat features like swappable cable ends so that you can use the microphone with your phone etc. But it's your decision, 9H is a lot more expensive than 7H. And if you have 200$ to spent there might be also other good option like Sennheisers...

the 7H had a cable for you phone too they even had a version that came with that cable http://goo.gl/OfSQM main problem I think with that was their marketing of it and they didnt include a cable for the PC or even a adapter.

How much are the 9H's going to be because if your getting up in the 250-300$ range just pick up the Plantronics GameCom Commander.

look at the tech specs if you know how to head ones dealing with speakers.

I went to the US site the site seems broke cant get to spec's or gallery or anything.

well the SNR is slightly better and nearly always when dealing with headphones and bigger speaker will sound better mor often than not.

7H indeed has better SNR (7H: 112 dB, 9H: 110dB)

But 9H has better frequensy response dispite it's smaller drivers (7H: 18 – 28.000 Hz, 9H: 10 – 28000 Hz)

Bigger drivers often are able to give more bass but smaller can be more accurate. Anyways, proper big drivers are accurate and crisp and proper small drivers give enough bass, so that's why I said I would personally just wait and see (or hear).

Btw, I don't know that much about audio since I had to check what SNR means from Wikipedia. :D

Also the 9H seem to have the same speakers as the 5Hv3 so i would just get the 5Hv3 unless you want the better build quality.

You have a very good point there. Also 5Hv3 brakes in pieces (like 7H) so that can be handy when travelling. Also build quality seems good from a video I saw... 5Hv3 is a good option if you don't need the sound card and better noise isolation that 9H has.

How much are the 9H's going to be because if your getting up in the 250-300$ range just pick up the Plantronics GameCom Commander.

Steelseries Global site says the 9H will cost 160€. It's probably 160$ in US/Canada. 5Hv3 will cost 80€.

Here's a pretty good video about the Steelseries 3Hv2, 5Hv3 and 9H.

7H indeed has better SNR (7H: 112 dB, 9H: 110dB)

But 9H has better frequensy response dispite it's smaller drivers (7H: 18 – 28.000 Hz, 9H: 10 – 28000 Hz)

Bigger drivers often are able to give more bass but smaller can be more accurate. Anyways, proper big drivers are accurate and crisp and proper small drivers give enough bass, so that's why I said I would personally just wait and see (or hear).

Btw, I don't know that much about audio since I had to check what SNR means from Wikipedia. :D

You have a very good point there. Also 5Hv3 brakes in pieces (like 7H) so that can be handy when travelling. Also build quality seems good from a video I saw... 5Hv3 is a good option if you don't need the sound card and better noise isolation that 9H has.

I personally be more interested in the SNR than the response because even though humans can hear from 20-20,000 hearing on the fringe of that for most people is hard enough if not impossible so going outside of that range isnt all that usefull. My guess is that increase is just due to the newer drivers.

yes if I need a headset I would be more pumped about the 5Hv3 than the 9H especially since the 5Hv2 desperately needed a refresh I remember when it released and I bought one. Man back then it was a awesome headset but now days the sound quality just isnt up to par for the price their still asking for it, especially compared to the siberia v2.

I just looked at the 3Hv2 still wouldnt touch it unless I had to. Also just compared the old 3H to the 3Hv2 they actually have the same (really crappy) drivers, and yes i have actually used them. And the 4H was actually where it was at way back cause their basically a 5Hv2 but slimmed down the funny thing its that made them much more durable but slightly less comfortable for extended periods. I remember the 4H's that i passed onto a friend that I passed onto a friend that still had SteelSound on them.