Corsair 500R side panel MOD

toytoy123

So I own a Corsair 500R case and I want to change the mesh panel on the side and change them into a clear acrylic panel. Is it difficult to do? And can someone give me instructions on how to please? I don't really want to mess the panel up

So I own a Corsair 500R case and I want to change the mesh panel on the side and change them into a clear acrylic panel. Is it difficult to do? And can someone give me instructions on how to please? I don't really want to mess the panel up

Can't you just pop it out? Look on the inside and see how its fitted in. You should be able to to easily just pop it out basically, and then put a cut piece of acrylic in there with double sided tape.

A little Google-action and I've found this image of the inside of the 500R panel:

mesh5f.jpg

So it looks like it's not going to be quite as easy and just popping the mesh out and sticking a window in behind... it seems like you have two options (that I can think of)

1. cut off those metal ridges around the edges, and put the plexiglass in behind it like the standard window mod (probably with some u-channel).
  2. get the plexi cut exactly the size and shape the mesh is now (with the rounded edges), and set it in the existing hole - assuming you could even do this, you'll still be able to see those support ridges through the window.

Keeping in mind that in sizing to tape the window behind, you probably couldn't go much beyond the existing size of the mesh hole, because the panel bulges out there, and it would create a gap; also if you decided to cut all around, the larger you made it, the smaller the bulge would become, and you'd be sacrificing clearance.

Will a double sided tape hold the plexiglass well, or should i use some kind of glue to stick on to the side panel.

Simply bend the edges of the mesh and pop it out, and yes, some good double sided tape will hold the plexi for years.

As for the support ridges being seen through the window, see if it's possible to bend the metal the other way, if not, I would simply cut the plexi the same size as the mesh and pop it in

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

Corsair M45 mouse | Corsair K65 Keyboard | LG 27EA33V 27' ips| 

•  

Will a double sided tape hold the plexiglass well' date=' or should i use some kind of glue to stick on to the side panel. [/quote']

Judging from the picture it seems very easy to remove the mesh, then bend or cut the ridges out and double sided tape acrylic in there.

Ok guys thanks for the tips and advice!

dont forget to show some pics after the mod!

• 4 weeks later...

I am also considering performing this mod, I just need to find the time!

Just like Chris I own the case just need to find the time. another note I also might beef up the front fans to keep with the positive pressure inside the case.

• 1 month later...

I want to do this as well, what I would like to do that is keep the fan and to that I would obviously need to drill lots of holes in the acrylic to allow air flow. If I did this I would then want to filter the intake. Any ideas on the best way to attach a filter to the acrylic?

One thing I think could be done for everyone here is to buy a second side panel. The right side (non fan holes side) I think the side panels are reversable so you could buy a blank white one then cut out a hole for an acrylic side window without worrying about the metal tabs. A side panel is $19.99 from the Corsair website so isn't too expensive.

I want to do this as well, what I would like to do that is keep the fan and to that I would obviously need to drill lots of holes in the acrylic to allow air flow. If I did this I would then want to filter the intake. Any ideas on the best way to attach a filter to the acrylic?

One thing I think could be done for everyone here is to buy a second side panel. The right side (non fan holes side) I think the side panels are reversable so you could buy a blank white one then cut out a hole for an acrylic side window without worrying about the metal tabs. A side panel is $19.99 from the Corsair website so isn't too expensive.

See if you can use your right side panel and place it as you would your left on your 500R? If it is indeed reversible then I would suggest buying an extra side panel from Corsair and just mod it! It'll look better and cleaner if done this way(in my opinion).

Just a suggestion to everyone here considering this mod.

looks relitivly easy to do if you have basic tools,

for tape look into the automotive industry and get some 3M double sided tape (thin tape) and use a cleaner to make sure the surface is clean before applying the tape.

you can also use a heat gun or hair dryer to make the tape / plexiglass stick better.

got to love Asus components