Cherry MX Red or Brown?

Alterlai

At the moment i have a Corsair K90 keyboard but i'm planning on buying the new Corsair K70.

You can now choose between the two switches that you want with the corsair K70.

The Cherry MX Red, and Cherry MX Brown.

The k90 i have now has red switches and it's all working fine, but i'm kinda looking for a better typing experience while still having a good gaming experience.

I don't know anyone in person that has a brown keyboard so i'm reaching out to you guys for help.

Do the brown switches still perform well while gaming?

Also are they much nicer to type on in relation to the reds?

That's really all i need to know.

Thanks.

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

I don't have browns but I have blues and I can tell you they are literally god's gift for typists and depending on the user, gamers as well. Blues give you the satisfying, distinct 'bump' feel when you press them. On the other hand they are quite loud but I personally enjoy the noise. In my opinion any other switch type is better than reds when typing. The down side to blues is if you have to double tap a key really quick and it won't register sometimes. The actual switch actuation point is lower than the click so you sometimes have to jam it down. I have yet to encounter this situation even when playing Maplestory for like five minutes when I had to double tap almost everything.

I read that browns are quieter and still provide the tactile feedback. These are also Linus's favourite key switches whereas Slick's are blues.

At the moment i have a Corsair K90 keyboard but i'm planning on buying the new Corsair K70.

You can now choose between the two switches that you want with the corsair K70.

The Cherry MX Red, and Cherry MX Brown.

The k90 i have now has red switches and it's all working fine, but i'm kinda looking for a better typing experience while still having a good gaming experience.

I don't know anyone in person that has a brown keyboard so i'm reaching out to you guys for help.

Do the brown switches still perform well while gaming?

Also are they much nicer to type on in relation to the reds?

That's really all i need to know.

Thanks.

Between the two, I really prefer browns for typing. Red is going to be you more "classic" high speed actuation gaming experience. Linus loves them too, so that's a thing.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

You have to try for yourself and find out what switches you prefer. Browns are good, but I prefer blue as the click is awesome. Red's are the ones I would buy for FPS games, but for RTS and MOBA I think blues are perfect.

Current build: Antec P180, Asus P8Z68 Pro, Intel i5-2500k, Asus GTX 570 2GB, Patriot 16GB 1600MHz, Corsair HX 650W.

New build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11270-video-editing-workstation-build/

I don't have browns but I have blues and I can tell you they are literally god's gift for typists and depending on the user, gamers as well. Blues give you the satisfying, distinct 'bump' feel when you press them. On the other hand they are quite loud but I personally enjoy the noise. In my opinion any other switch type is better than reds when typing. The down side to blues is if you have to double tap a key really quick and it won't register sometimes. The actual switch actuation point is lower than the click so you sometimes have to jam it down. I have yet to encounter this situation even when playing Maplestory for like five minutes when I had to double tap almost everything.

I read that browns are quieter and still provide the tactile feedback. These are also Linus's favourite key switches whereas Slick's are blues.

I usually play more casual games so i hardly ever mash the keyboard.

I'm also talking a lot on skype and TS so that's why i'm worried about buying blues. That's actually the only thing holding me back.

That's why i think brows are the best choice for me.

Tell me if you think that's about correct.

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

If you think youd like the click of the blues get them, what you do with your keyboard doesnt really matter in the case of which switch to get. as for the voice chat if you use push to talk or auto what ever i see no problem. Now if its constantly on and your typing a ton they may hear it especially if you bottom which would be the case with any mechanical board, which is why some people dont like them. There is a easy fix for that though, just pick up some orings i think it makes the experience better anyway as bottoming out is less jarring on the fingers.

browns are good, I have them, and they are really nice. They don't have as many "problems" as blues(actuation point not at bump or so) but if you want to you can unregister the key without passing over the tactile bump, but that never happened to me unintentionally, you should get them, so nice to type on :)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

browns are good, I have them, and they are really nice. They don't have as many "problems" as blues(actuation point not at bump or so) but if you want to you can unregister the key without passing over the tactile bump, but that never happened to me unintentionally, you should get them, so nice to type on :)

just so you know ive only ever done this if i have tried to do it otherwise ive never had the problem either

Personally, I use the black switches because contrary to the blues you don't have as much feedback and the tactile and clicky *click* sound. I like that.

But, if I had to choose between Brown or Red I would choose red's the switch is quite comfortable for anyone who is starting with mechanical keyboards, however this is not the case for you, and the switch is not as loud as the blues which I find is a plus whilst playing when you have family who are as sleep or dislike the repetitive noise when you're gaming. What I like to say say is that you can tell when you press the key but it's not as noticable for others. Don't qoute me though, this is the expirience I have had with the few switch types that I've used.

Personally, I use the black switches because contrary to the blues you don't have as much feedback and the tactile and clicky *click* sound. I like that.

But, if I had to choose between Brown or Red I would choose red's the switch is quite comfortable for anyone who is starting with mechanical keyboards, however this is not the case for you, and the switch is not as loud as the blues which I find is a plus whilst playing when you have family who are as sleep or dislike the repetitive noise when you're gaming. What I like to say say is that you can tell when you press the key but it's not as noticable for others. Don't qoute me though, this is the expirience I have had with the few switch types that I've used.

Just so you know Blues and Greens are the only switches that make noise themselves. The noise your probably hearing withe Black, Brown, and Red is probably you bottoming out, a sound which for the most part can be heaving negated with a small amount of work.

Do you like how the Reds feel now? If so, I probably wouldn't switch; just a personal preference. I do love my MX Browns though -- keep in mind that I thought Reds were too light for me.

Do you like how the Reds feel now? If so, I probably wouldn't switch; just a personal preference. I do love my MX Browns though -- keep in mind that I thought Reds were too light for me.

Did you just dislike how light they were or their complete linearness? The reason I ask is that Reds and Brows use the same springs and only differentiate in wieght really on actuation.

It was the "linearness". Browns offer a bit of resistance just before the actuation; which for me, prevents a few typeos. :)

It was the "linearness". Browns offer a bit of resistance just before the actuation; which for me, prevents a few typeos. :)

You should really try clears then if you like the tactile bump, or if you dare stray away from cherry MX take a look at a matias quite pro

You should really try clears then if you like the tactile bump, or if you dare stray away from cherry MX take a look at a matias quite pro

I'm using the DK9087G2 Pro w/ Browns and Whites as my daily driver right now. I think Browns are perfect for the main keys, while the Whites offer an awesome contrast on the modifier keys. I think the bump of the Whites would be too much for me on an entire keyboard. :: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=373

I've been wanting to force myself to use my MX Red keyboard again, just so I can learn to love it. My MX Blue and MX Green keyboards are on loan right now to my brother. Besides, they're not that optimal for trying to play my CM/WW Wizard on Diablo 3. Too much key-spamming haha. :)

I'm using the DK9087G2 Pro w/ Browns and Whites as my daily driver right now. I think Browns are perfect for the main keys, while the Whites offer an awesome contrast on the modifier keys. I think the bump of the Whites would be too much for me on an entire keyboard. :: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=373

I've been wanting to force myself to use my MX Red keyboard again, just so I can learn to love it. My MX Blue and MX Green keyboards are on loan right now to my brother. Besides, they're not that optimal for trying to play my CM/WW Wizard on Diablo 3. Too much key-spamming haha. :)

whites != clears

whites are basically blues greens with a slightly different clicking mechanism and is one of the few MX switch I havent used for extended periods because there so rare ive never have enough for a whole board anything close.

clear have the largest tactile bump and the heaviest spring. This stem is my favorite, I say stem because I usually swap the spring to at least something as light as a black if not a blue (or equivalent custom springs). I did use standard clears for a couple months as my main board but I found I prefered how the switch preformed with a lighter spring when I threw together some used stuff I had on a early modding project.

Key spamming should be fine with just about any switch unless you ride the actuation point which very few people do. but if you did yes any of the Cherry MX clicking switch would have a disadvantage here.

in most cases i would take blacks over reds as I just crush reds for the most part and i like to feel something pushing back against my finger a bit. (sidenote: its should be note I used black for many years before even trying any other switch)