gaming build need help - want to follow a theme without compromising performance

Syxx

Hi Guys,

So basically, my friends and some other people suggested me parts based on my needs. The problem is, some of the parts (mobo, cpu cooler, memory) that they suggested are different and/or does not follow the theme that i wanted which is blue and black (my mouse is a g502 and roccat isku fx that i plan to color as blue)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
CPU Cooler: ???
MOBO: ??
RAM: ??
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 64MB
SSD: Crucial M550 256GB SATA SSD
VGA: Palit GTX 970 JetStream 4GB GDDR5 256-Bit
PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 EVO 620W 80Plus Bronze
ATX: NZXT Source 340 White

MOBO Suggestions

ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 

CPU Cooler Suggestions:

Xigmatek Dark Knight SD1283 Night Hawk Edition

Scythe Ashura

Scythe Mugen 4

Cooler Master Hyper 212X

Memory Suggestions:

G.Skill RipjawsX 4GBx2 DDR3-1600 CL9

Questions: 

What are alternative parts that could fit into my build and follows my theme?

My MOBO options are both about $150 - what are other MOBOs of the same quality (hopefully it can SLI, can OC-preferably has an easy to understand BIOS since im a noob) if cheaper, the better

What is a good CPU cooler that can cool my CPU if i plan to OC to around 4.2-4.5ghz? (i know sizes differ and i might need to change my case)

What are other simple cases that are windowed like this? (just in case i need to change for the cpu cooler)

What memory is good for my theme?

Feel free to give other suggestions for the whole build.

PS: What is a cheaper route for future proofing?

1. getting a non SLI mobo for cheaper and just focus on upgrading single GPUs

2. getting a SLI mobo and just get another of my GPU and SLI when needed

Thanks. 

Could you edit your post, select all the text, and click the little eraser above the editor? I'll edit my post in a minute, it's difficult to read on the night theme.

RAM can stay the same, or changed to A-DATA XPG or Corsair Vengeance in blue.

Cooler could be something like the H105 and have it set to RGB. (Or Swifttech H220X with blue 'faceplate'), other than that, colors aren't typically a very big field for coolers.

Mobo can be the ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 or MSI Z97 PC Mate

Will you even be seeing the internals? Then get a blue LED and a blue case, call it a day.

Or get spraypaint.

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

Could you edit your post, select all the text, and click the little eraser above the editor? I'll edit my post in a minute, it's difficult to read on the night theme.

RAM can stay the same, or changed to A-DATA XPG or Corsair Vengeance in blue.

Cooler could be something like the H105 and have it set to RGB. (Or Swifttech H220X with blue 'faceplate'), other than that, colors aren't typically a very big field for coolers.

Mobo can be the ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 or MSI Z97 PC Mate

changed it.

Also forgot to ask, what would be the advantages of picking that specific mobo since im dont really know much about mobos.

Thanks

Will you even be seeing the internals? Then get a blue LED and a blue case, call it a day.

Or get spraypaint.

with the s340 case i think i would see the interior. however, i dont exactly plan to color everything with black/blue. But i think the overall build should be colored that way. Also, i think having a few red things inside would not look good.

changed it.

Also forgot to ask, what would be the advantages of picking that specific mobo since im dont really know much about mobos.

Thanks

Thanks for fixing it. There's no particular advantage to picking one motherboard over another, as they won't really affect performance (can be seen in this video.) Mostly depends on which brand you feel more comfortable buying; look up some reviews of the boards (both from a retailer and reputable places like guru3d and hardocp.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeuJAOVRoA0

Sure I've just replied to this on a different forum lol

Corsair Vengeance or G.SKill Ram

Asrock Extreme 6 Z97

Asus 970gtx, forget which model but its on kit guru

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Thanks for fixing it. There's no particular advantage to picking one motherboard over another, as they won't really affect performance (can be seen in this video.) Mostly depends on which brand you feel more comfortable buying; look up some reviews of the boards (both from a retailer and reputable places like guru3d and hardocp.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeuJAOVRoA0

yeah was able to watch that, however, not sure but i think the pc mate does not support SLI but the other 2 that were suggested to me can, and i think having the option to SLI is very good. Also for the pro gamer, the one who suggested it listed these: SupremeFX audio, Intel LAN chipset, ASUS UEFI BIOS and fan controls. SO basically i'm referring to the extra features of the board and not the impact on the performance.

thanks

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

In addition, i would prefer to pick a mobo that has a bios that is friendly for OC beginners :)

Thanks for the ideas. But i think i cant afford that GPU, i'll stick with the Palit Jetstream as that is about $100 more in my country. lol.

Where are you buying from and what is the total cost?

The AsRock Extreme 3 will overclock well, and supports SLI.

The Corsair H55 CPU cooler will do a great job and looks good.

The 750W Power Supply will support dual 970s easily.  The max power draw of a single 970 is around 270W, while in SLI the can pull up to around 440W.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-970-sli-review,4.html

The newer Crucial BX versions have better sequential write speeds than the M versions.

The white case looks really good with the blue/black (subjective).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($54.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($329.00 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1044.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-04 12:46 EST-0500

Maybe Luke's motherboard series can help you?

Part 1: 

Part 2: 

Part 3: 

Part 4: