Video Storage

KirbyTech

Hello all, I am looking for a good storage solution for video editing, I know 128 GB ssd for cache, 256gb OS drive, 512 or 1tb for working drive and then a 256 for export drive. I am also looking for a good longer term storage solution, Currently I have a crappy home made nas that is working but only has 5 tb usable due to raid. Ideally I would only ever need to work from the largest ssd meaning that I could have cheaper slower drives for longer term storage? What would you all recommend for going to say 8 plus drives for long term storage? Also what ssds would be best for all listed above other than OS drive as I already have one of them (840 EVO)

i also edit video

i use a 9TB Raid 5 Nas 3TBx4

i use a pny XLR8 240GB for my OS

a 120GB 850 EVO as a cache/scratch disk or render output drive

a 2TB seagate to hold all of my current projects and desktop on

i then use a 1TB HDD for all of my personal media and a 1TB  840 evo for games and non OS critical programs

i also edit video

i use a 9TB Raid 5 Nas 3TBx4

i use a pny XLR8 240GB for my OS

a 120GB 850 EVO as a cache/scratch disk or render output drive

a 2TB seagate to hold all of my current projects and desktop on

i then use a 1TB HDD for all of my personal media and a 1TB  840 evo for games and non OS critical programs

What enclosure do you use to keep all of the hard drives?

What enclosure do you use to keep all of the hard drives?

a store bought enclosure

Qnap TS-420

far from being the fastest or best box but its cheap and reliable as far as im concerned

a store bought enclosure

Qnap TS-420

far from being the fastest or best box but its cheap and reliable as far as im concerned

I would not call $800 cheap for a 4 bay enclosure haha  

I would not call $800 cheap for a 4 bay enclosure haha  

my mistake its a TS-412 i always get mixed up lol

Looks like the only difference is usb 2 to 3 and a $40 price tag. This is a good one I found for the price.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003X26VV4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=SJ940VEDYCRS&coliid=I3AJ4R73GHL3NZ

it lacks Ethernet ports meaning you will need a usb compliant router to use it over your network or go through your pc obviously

i also managed to grab that box(the 412) for around 180 on a clearance sale from NCIX couple years ago

it lacks Ethernet ports meaning you will need a usb compliant router to use it over your network or go through your pc obviously

i also managed to grab that box(the 412) for around 180 on a clearance sale from NCIX couple years ago

That would be a good deal and yeah no network but if you have a dedicated nas pc it works great. That is the set up I currently have so that makes is much easier for me.

unless you have bills to support what are you doing (or someone paying to do whatever you do), I can't think anything better than upload all your video to youtube for longer terms solution (don't forget to set it private)

I've done it for my family video.

unless you have bills to support what are you doing (or someone paying to do whatever you do), I can't think anything better than upload all your video to youtube for longer terms solution (don't forget to set it private)

I've done it for my family video.

I could but that 1. lowers quality, 2. YouTube is not your personal video storage 3. I want it on my own server