Sound card advice

heineygoat

Okay I don't know a lot about sound cards, I tried reading the "read before posting" but couldn't really find a clear answer.

My choice of sound cards range from $25 to $400. (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=211&vk_sort=1)

There's so many different Xonars, DS, DZX, DG, DGX, D1, DX, they're all around $50

And theres the Essence cards for around $200.

What's the best for gaming? Would a simple $50 Xonar be a huge improvement from on board audio? (ga-p67a-ud3h).

Would I notice the difference between that and an essence?

What do?

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

First and foremost, you ought to have a decent headphones (Sennheiser PC series for gaming, or the more expensive HD series if you don't need the mic). Now, assuming you have decent listening equipment, you will notice a difference between on-board audio, a 100$ sound card, a 200$ card and the Essence One DAC. It is had to describe, but you will know it even without having to compare side-by-side.

If you like your sound in general, not just for gaming, I'd say go for something like a Xonar Essence ST. If this is only for gaming, then cheaper will do.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Asus Xonar Phoebus (7.1 for gaming.)

Asus Xonar Essence STX (2.1 for music)

You will need a good headset/speakers to get the best of it.
You will definitely notice the difference IF you are not using something cheap like a 10$ headset/headphones.

What nishank93 said is a better choice for a normal user and not an audiophile :D

CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.6-4.4 GHz| Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White/Blue) | Motherbord: ASUS Maximus VI Hero|
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB (Red) 1600MHz CL9 GPU: ASUS DirectCU II OC GTX 670 4GB (GTX670-DC2-4GD5) Power Supply: Corsair AX760i
Others: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, WD Green 2TB, 2 Toshiba 500GB, CM TPC 612, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Stealth Edition, Razer Naga 2013, Razer Electra (oh this is shit...), Razer Moray+ , Razer Goliathus Speed Edition, Audio Technica ATH2500

The answer is in the question really. You're buying a "dedicated sound card". So of course, A $50 dedicated sound card would indeed be a huge improvement over on-board audio. That said on-board audio has come a long way. On-board audio clusters on newer boards sound amazing. For gaming I think a Xonar DX would do but I prefer the STX.

If your max budget is $400 you would be looking to buying a headphone amplifier. If you really want an internal sound card Asus Xonar DG or DGX would be fine for under $50. However if you wish to spend more I would seriously recommend a USB Dac/Amplifier like the Fiio E10 or something else. You would not be able to plug in a microphone with an amplifier but at that point I would recommend a USB desktop microphone if you need a mic.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

Out of that list, the audioengine d1 is the only thing I'd go with.

no drivers to futz around with and it has a physical volume knob.

the only problem I have with it is,

it's powered by USB, which may not be quite powerful for some of the more demanding cans out there,

and the power may not be as clean as something with it's own dedicated regulated power supply.

if you can import, you might have better options with brands like littledot or audio-gd.

as to what's worth it to spend. I probably wouldn't upgrade if you spent less than ~$150+ on cans.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Out of that list, the audioengine d1 is the only thing I'd go with.

no drivers to futz around with and it has a physical volume knob.

His list was referring to the Asus Xonar D1 lol

But yea, I'd go for the Audioengine D1 DAC. My internal soundcard phase is over, I'm going for higher quality external DACs instead. :D

Just get something that's known to be good with some headphones that are known to be good, and don't fret so much about it.