Temps with CrossfireX?

iruixos
Go to solution Solved by SubTract,

aftrbrnr

speccy

3 Monitors and a TV.

You can see there is nearly 30°C difference between them at IDLE. however at load they don't normally get much hotter than 70-75°C and both normally run about the same. :D

Hi all,

I recently picked up another GIGABYTE 7870 OC edition card to go with the one I got back in February.

I cleaned the older card about a week ago, but here's what's baffling me though:

6trt.png

One is 10 degrees hotter than the other? I don't understand what's going on here.

Here's a photo of the cards and the spacing between them:

43iv.jpg

Fans are as follows:

• Top 2x140mm intake
  • Top-rear 120mm exhaust
  • Front 200mm exhaust (the Bitfenix fan would not mount the other way)
  • PSU Internal intake, External exhaust

Case is the 650D from Corsair

Is there something I can do to remedy this?

Thanks

GW2: Vettexl.9726

It's normal, happens with my crossfire setup as well, but I don't have such a large spacing as yours. The top card is usually hotter. 
You can try directing cool air into the top card, that may help.

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

The top intake fans are just CoolerMasters that were like $5 or something, I'll see about getting either Corsair AF fans or Noctua fans when their black fans are released.

Thanks for the reply!

The top intake fans are just CoolerMasters that were like $5 or something, I'll see about getting either Corsair AF fans or Noctua fans when their black fans are released.

Thanks for the reply!

How many monitors are you running?My top card is hotter also..You probably have ULPS enabled so your bottom card turns off when not in use also.. 

Thanks for the reply!

I think your GPU sucks in air from below and blows it through the heatsinks.

So it would be better to upgrade your front fan or remove your harddrive drive cages (if you can, to improve airflow).

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

its normal, crossfireX "shut down" your buttem card on idle. it shot be closer when you ar gaming (or not when the top card take all the hot air)

WHY!!!

How many monitors are you running?My top card is hotter also..You probably have ULPS enabled so your bottom card turns off when not in use also.. 

Two, both 23" monitors

ULPS... how do I go about disabling this? Nevermind, I found this! http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4296789&postcount=7

I think your GPU sucks in air from below and blows it through the heatsinks.

So it would be better to upgrade your front fan or remove your harddrive drive cages (if you can, to improve airflow).

I did recently "upgrade" it from the stock Corsair fan to a blue LED Bitfenix Spectre fan... however, it can only be mounted as exhaust. So I'll probably have to switch that back with the stock Corsair to get more air in the case.

Two, both 23" monitors

ULPS... how do I go about disabling this?

I did recently "upgrade" it from the stock Corsair fan to a blue LED Bitfenix Spectre fan... however, it can only be mounted as exhaust. So I'll probably have to switch that back with the stock Corsair to get more air in the case.

Two monitors means your top card is running at a higher idle then the bottom card..Usually it will idle around 500 core and full memory mhz..So it stays hotter..Use a gpu monitoring software to test this..Even real temp will tell you your current speeds..If you plan on OCing then you must disable ULPS..I use Iturbo software to OC and to turn this off..In iturbo once installed go to settings and disable ULPS..If you are not going to OC then you can leave ULPS on..

Here's another one at load with BF3 @Ultra settings

So apparently this is normal?

wk.png

Here's another one at load with BF3 @Ultra settings

So apparently this is normal?

wk.png

Why you have Crossfire disabled?

Why you have Crossfire disabled?

It's enabled, Speccy is just silly.

kvv.gif

It's enabled, Speccy is just silly.

kvv.gif

So you have them OCed quite a bit huh?On idle does your first card idle higher then your second card?

So you have them OCed quite a bit huh?On idle does your first card idle higher then your second card?

As shown above, yes. So I suppose it just scales up 10 degrees more under load? Interesting.

As shown above, yes. So I suppose it just scales up 10 degrees more under load? Interesting.

You need to click the sensors tab on Gpuz..Then change the cards in the bottom left to check the different card speeds..

Clean up your cable management which will help airflow. Get some fans like AP 123 or something like that, which make tunnels of air flow.

\

Here is my top card.

77m.png

Here is bottom card..

y0.png

Notice they both run at the same speed?Cause i only have 1 monitor..I bet yours are different speeds so one has more heat..Plus under full load the top card draws all its air from the bottom cards top..So it is using hotter air then the bottom..If you had a fan blowing freah air right over the GPUs this will get more even temps under load..

Left image: Top (idle) - Right image: Bottom (idle)

jx3.gif  r3b.gif

Left image: Top (idle) - Right image: Bottom (idle)

jx3.gif  r3b.gif

So your top card is running at full speed all the time which is weird.It should drop to about 500/1200mhz on idle..

I made a little diagram to show where the airflow is coming from & going to. I know I need to change a few things... any recommendations? First on the list is to switch the front exhaust to an intake and to remove the top drive cage

x6tn.jpg

I made a little diagram to show where the airflow is coming from & going to. I know I need to change a few things... any recommendations? First on the list is to switch the front exhaust to an intake and to remove the top drive cage

x6tn.jpg

Do you have any spots for side or bottom fans?

Do you have any spots for side or bottom fans?

Unfortunately, no.

aftrbrnr

speccy

3 Monitors and a TV.

You can see there is nearly 30°C difference between them at IDLE. however at load they don't normally get much hotter than 70-75°C and both normally run about the same. :D

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

3 Monitors and a TV.

Apparently I don't have permission to view the images :P but at least I know it's not an isolated incident.

Thanks!

Apparently I don't have permission to view the images :P but at least I know it's not an isolated incident.

Thanks!

Sorry, Album miraculously became private :S

Fixed

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4