Modding a broken laptop into a desktop

Lord Bubbles

The fan on my old laptop broke. Since it have some relatively beefy hardware, i7-2630QM @ 2 GHz and a geforce 540m, i decided it should not go to waste. I am therefor turning it into a desktop pc for my parrents to use, but would like your advise with some of the issues 

post-78478-0-63878000-1422893951.png

In the top right we see the heatsink i intend to mount, in the bottom right we see the broken fan

How to mount the heatsink?

I could mount the heatsink to the two heatpipes fairly easily using strips, but im worried the heat transfer wouldn't be that great.

Alternatively i could remove the heatpipes and mount it directly on the CPU, but mounting it becomes a lot harder, i could probably mount it with strips through some of the screw holes in the motherboard. In this case the GPU would then be passivly cooled by a small heatsink lifted from an old motherboard. This should be sufficient for the GPU, since it not going to do any graphic intensive tasks and is allready lying at a stable 60 degress celsius without any cooling

Any tips would be much appreciated  :)

post-78478-0-63878000-1422893951.png

I would strap the heatsink to the 2 heatpipes and I'd make sure that there's enough contact. Also i'm assuming you're putting a fan on that heatsink, that should cool it good enough I'm guessing.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

I took the heat pipes off, and decided i am going to try and mount the new cooler directly on the CPU, somehow...

post-78478-0-86905200-1422900241_thumb.jpost-78478-0-28728300-1422900262_thumb.j

is the heat pipe seperable from the CPU block? Could you not reorient the gpu heatpipe to still cool the gpu?

Could always make yourself custom mounting hardware to secure the heat sink to the CPU and board.

Without some kind of heatsink on the gpu, it will most likely fry.

FYI

I have no experience or particular knowledge about doing any of this.

If you take the standoffs out, is it a through hole?

If so, you might be able to tap the aluminum of the heat sink and run long screws from the backside of the board into the heat sink. Or do it vise versa, drill holes in the heat sink and counter sink the heads down a bit for fan clearance and just screw them into the standoffs. It looks like the holes would be in the fins, so I'm not sure if it would actually work very well.

• 5 years later...

Did this ever work? I wanted to try something similar with my wife's old laptop but something tells me this went south...