Storage used by nothing?

Go to solution Solved by Deathmaster1289,

it's also possible that your paging file is 16GB(as big as RAM) and hibernate file could be around 4GB+, not sure, but I've seen examples of that much storage usage for "nothing"...

it's easy to check though... need to go into system settings and disable the paging file(virtual RAM) and disable the hibernation... should free up some space :D

So I recently upgraded to windows 8 and i noticed that 50% of my ssd boot drive is used but when I check the size of the files within it is only about 25% of the drive. I would like to figure out why double the total file size is being used.

post-21825-0-84649700-1372341318.jpg

post-21825-0-17818000-1372341322.jpg

post-21825-0-84649700-1372341318.jpg

post-21825-0-17818000-1372341322.jpg

there are several hidden files under windows...

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

The Windows pagefile and hibernation file would add each a couple of gig to that value

i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | Seagate ST2000DX001 SSHD 2TB | WD5000AAKX 500GB | Samsung SH-B083A Bluray Drive | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB GV-N670OC-2GD | Corsair 12GB 1600Mhz CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 | Corsair H50 in Push Pull | SeaSonic X750 | CM 690 II Advanced | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | HP 2159M 1080p | Asus ProArt PA238Q 23" 1080p IPS Monitor | Asus VS239H IPS 1080p (Portrait) | Razer BlackWidow Expert MX Blue (2011) | Razer Lachesis 5600

The Windows pagefile and hibernation file would add each a couple of gig to that value

This.

Windows has a loooot of hidden files overall. These are just some of them.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

My windows file is only 22 ish GB. I have hidden files showing.

it's also possible that your paging file is 16GB(as big as RAM) and hibernate file could be around 4GB+, not sure, but I've seen examples of that much storage usage for "nothing"...

it's easy to check though... need to go into system settings and disable the paging file(virtual RAM) and disable the hibernation... should free up some space :D

This.

Your recommended page file size, by windows is 1:1 (or 1:1/2), so 8GB of SSD gone, just like that (or up to 16GB). 

Hibernation is a lot too. For an SSD, Hibernation isn't very important. You won't hibernate, much, if ever.

Find a way to disable both.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I tried to disable hibernate and i got an error saying i don't have permission. Does anyone know how to fix this?

post-21825-0-22373800-1372345735.jpg

IO changed the virtual memory to 1 GB and it added about 14 GB. Now I just have to figure out how to get permission to disable hibernation. 

IO changed the virtual memory to 1 GB and it added about 14 GB. Now I just have to figure out how to get permission to disable hibernation. 

Here.

† Christian Member †

looks to me like you didnt partition the hdd properly.

check in windows manager to see if the used space is actually unallocated raw disak space if it is then you can either expand the volume or delete the partition and create a new bigger 1 with a fresh install of windows.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

when you search for cmd - right click open as administrator, and then follow 

this ^ - there's a note that says "By default, the size of the hidden protected OS hibernation file (C:\hiberfil.sys) is 75% of the total amount of installed RAM on your computer." 75% of RAM could be 12 GB so with previous pagefile being usually 100% of RAM = ~28-30GB of your SSD storage :D

hope this helps :D

Whenever I have this issue I use Windirstat to figure out which file it is, just select the drive and it shows all folders (hidden or not) and how much space they take up, in this case it seems this would be a windows folder so you can't delete that but I use it whenever a game or program of mine creates large mystery files that I can't seem to find.

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

Just keep in mind that there's a ton of stuff that don't show up within the disk itself when you open it. One of them is System Restore Points.

System restore points take a lot of storage if not deleted on regular basis. On my system, I have dedicated 1% of the drive to system storage. I got about a 2TB drive, so system restore has about 20 GB of storage. When I go and delete unneeded restore points, I can see the freed space when I right click and properties on the disk. When I go inside the disk, select all folders and properties, I can't see a change in freed up space at all.

So yeah, lots of data don't show up within the folders of the disk, EVEN if you have selected to show hidden files.