Upgrading or Downgrading??

fuzedzn

I currently have an XFX 7870 2GB (Core Edition)

I play games such as BF3/Arma 3. I also like to play on FSX (which i hear does prefer nVidia GPUs)

Would i be upgrading or downgrading if i was to swap my 7870 to something like a 660ti?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

It would be a small upgrade, from what I have seen Nvidia GPUs work better on Bf3. 
I personally would not do it, save up money and upgrade to the 700 series or a 7950. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

The 7870 is a better card overall. The 660ti isn't really an upgrade. Don't.

79xx series has had another price cut. Get some 7950/70 and you'll have a much better time.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

It would be a small upgrade, from what I have seen Nvidia GPUs work better on Bf3. 

I personally would not do it, save up money and upgrade to the 700 series or a 7950. 

I'd like to get a 770 but currently they are like £300+... I could sell my 7870 but they cost so little these days i wouldn't have another £200 to throw at a 770 :/

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

The 7870 is a better card overall. The 660ti isn't really an upgrade. Don't.

79xx series has had another price cut. Get some 7950/70 and you'll have a much better time.

I don't think i would upgrade to a 79** series card 'cause i would get a much bigger improvement going to nVidia think. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

It would be such a minor upgrade that it basically won't be worth it. Save up some money and buy a more highend card.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

I don't think i would upgrade to a 79** series card 'cause i would get a much bigger improvement going to nVidia think. 

On a 780 yes, otherwise no.

It would be such a minor upgrade that it basically won't be worth it. Save up some money and buy a more highend card.

Hmm ok.... I'll have to look into trying to get enough for a 770 :/

On a 780 yes, otherwise no.

Its not the performace of something like BF3 that i care about.. i currently get like 60fps+... I mainly play FSX which (because amd wouldn't implement the software for the engine) has much better performance with an nVidia GPU but i wanted to be sure that if i was to swap to a 660ti/670 i would still get that 60fps+.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

BTW, have you read about Frostbite III [bF4] will be AMD optimized? ^^ Good time to switch to nvidia... not.

BTW, have you read about Frostbite III [bF4] will be AMD optimized? ^^ Good time to switch to nvidia... not.

Yea thats the only thing thats making me not go and do it right now... When i built my AMD PC i was under the impression that i was also going to go and build an Intel/nvidia PC also but cash has just run away from me :/

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

After a week or two Nvidia will probably release new drivers and it will be the same again,.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

After a week or two Nvidia will probably release new drivers and it will be the same again,.

They will but amd will always be better for BF4 just like it is with BF3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

A gtx 660 ti would be a 10% or a 15% upgrade so it can be worth it to swap it.

Throw a second identical card in, get the games bundled with it.  Or wait save up the dough and grab a non-reference 780.  I plan on grabbing a DC2 780 or two round the end o summer. I would not worry too much about any AMD optimization with a 780.  I would not switch to any GeForce six series though.