The scientific difference between sockets?

Hi, I need some help on how to choose motherboards. So I am a little behind when it comes to motherboards. I am looking into intel bords, but I don't know if i should choose 2011 or 1155. I do NOT want responses like, "2011 is way better that 1155 on video editing" or something like that, because I partly know that allready. But I want to know the scientific diffrence between them. So that I can know what to look for in a motherboard. please help!

^

When you get to the higher level, much more expensive 2011 CPU's, the greater number of pins can help send more information through the motherboard to the required components at a faster rate, so basically (depending on the task at hand) 2011 CPU's will be faster than 1155 ones.

Wit is educated insolence.

2011 has 2011 pins while 1155 has 1155 pins

Oh thank god. I was about to go mad. I thaught that 2011 was just a name like "am3" or something like that. But then again. If 2011 has 856 more pins than the 1155. Then why do people argu whether or not the 2011 is better than 1155, when it clearly are? It seems a bit od.

2011 boards allow for more memory placements as well as higher-performance CPUs. But they come at more of a cost, obviously.

Oh thank god. I was about to go mad. I thaught that 2011 was just a name like "am3" or something like that. But then again. If 2011 has 856 more pins than the 1155. Then why do people argu whether or not the 2011 is better than 1155, when it clearly are? It seems a bit od.

2011 CPUs have more cores, more cache better memory interface but a much slower upgrade cycle. 2011 is still SandyBridge and the replacement for 1155 is already out -> 1150 Haswell.

Haswell is ~15% faster per clock compared to SandyBridge. If you only play games a 4core Haswell cpu is faster than a 6 core SandyBridge cpu, but if you can use all 6 cores 2011 is faster than everything else.

2011 is allways better (if money is not worth anything to you), there are more pins, so there are more connections to send data over.

More data = more performance, allways :-)

Proud to be from Belgium.

2011 is allways better (if money is not worth anything to you), there are more pins, so there are more connections to send data over.

More data = more performance, allways :-)

^

When you get to the higher level, much more expensive 2011 CPU's, the greater number of pins can help send more information through the motherboard to the required components at a faster rate, so basically (depending on the task at hand) 2011 CPU's will be faster than 1155 ones.

Errr if you guys put it that way, that means ivy bridge with 1155 vs haswell with 1150 results in haswell being slower? Kinda misleading there

RAWR signature became a bunch of HTML codes

More pins also means you can push more electricity into the chip.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Errr if you guys put it that way, that means ivy bridge with 1155 vs haswell with 1150 results in haswell being slower? Kinda misleading there

this is a difference of 5 pins ...

If you know car's, IB is a 1155 cc engine, haswell a 1150 cc engine, because the haswell engine is finer tuned, haswell will will the race.

The 1150/1155 sockets are meant for small high rpm engines that deliver less performance per rev, while the 2011 socket is a big engine that delivers more performance per rev, but can't get high rev's.

Picture a Mazda RX-8 vs a Ford Mustang :-)

More pins also means you can push more electricity into the chip.

Since PC's work in binary (0 or 1, on or off), electricity basically means data.

A socket isn't any better than any other socket. The CPUs that fit into the sockets should be compared. First see what CPU suiters your needs, then see what socket it has, then go shop for a motherboard that has that socket.

If you know car's, IB is a 1155 cc engine, haswell a 1150 cc engine, because the haswell engine is finer tuned, haswell will will the race.

The 1150/1155 sockets are meant for small high rpm engines that deliver less performance per rev, while the 2011 socket is a big engine that delivers more performance per rev, but can't get high rev's.

Thats better...

RAWR signature became a bunch of HTML codes

wow...worst analogy ever... the "engine" is the chip, so the pins are air intake, fuel line, exhaust and all the other stuff to and from the engine.

And most pins are for PCIe lanes, Sata connectors, memory interface and so on. the computing power has very little to do with the amount of pins.

There are different socket for the mobile market(ivy Bridge) form 988 up to 1224 but they are all the same architecture.

The replies in this topic omfg

Like said at least one time, one should not compare sockets, only the cpu that goes in it. More pins doesn't mean more performance.

The enthusiast platform uses 2011 while the consumer line at this point uses 1150. It's as simple as that.

You want a top end system go for 2011, you want a regular (but still fast) system go with 1150.

wow...worst analogy ever... the "engine" is the chip, so the pins are air intake, fuel line, exhaust and all the other stuff to and from the engine.

And most pins are for PCIe lanes, Sata connectors, memory interface and so on. the computing power has very little to do with the amount of pins.

There are different socket for the mobile market(ivy Bridge) form 988 up to 1224 but they are all the same architecture.

As my sig says, correct me if I'm wrong :-)

Your explanation is better indeed :-)

Still, I feel like my comparison wasn't completely wrong, the 2011 chips have more computing power. The question was (as I understood it) what the difference was between 2011 and 1155/1150, and the 2011 chips have piece for piece more "horesepower" than the 1155/1150 chips.

Off topic: can you give me an example where there is a huge amount of pins in a socket that hold a less powerfull chip?

The replies in this topic omfg

Like said at least one time, one should not compare sockets, only the cpu that goes in it. More pins doesn't mean more performance.

The enthusiast platform uses 2011 while the consumer line at this point uses 1150. It's as simple as that.

You want a top end system go for 2011, you want a regular (but still fast) system go with 1150.

The OP asked for a scientific (read: physical) difference between the 2 sockets.

Also: you are contradicting yourself...

In one line you say that one should not compare sockets, but in the next lines you do it yourself...

The scientific difference is that it's a different socket.

You can't put a 4770k in a 2011 or a 1155 socket, it doesn't fit.

If you're trying to spec a rig you need to decide on what you're doing and consequently the processing power you'll need. (So I'm not sure why you're not looking for '2011 is for rendering' answers)

You're supposed to choose the cpu before the motherboard and then buy an appropriate motherboard with the correct socket.

Off topic: can you give me an example where there is a huge amount of pins in a socket that hold a less powerfull chip?

You mean like a Dual Core socket 2011 cpu? E5-2637.

But what is the point of your question? High End CPU have a bigger socket not because they are faster but because of a way longer feature list, more and more stuff goes into cpus. You can look at something like the old 775. they just put 2 c2d's on one board, and tada you had a c2q...but the same features. 100% more performance same pins

You mean like a Dual Core socket 2011 cpu? E5-2637.

But what is the point of your question? High End CPU have a bigger socket not because they are faster but because of a way longer feature list, more and more stuff goes into cpus. You can look at something like the old 775. they just put 2 c2d's on one board, and tada you had a c2q...but the same features. 100% more performance same pins

This was just a question out of own interest :)