CM n200 simple "mod"

vlado88

I have my CM n200 case for a few months now. I love the case, but one thing that is really annoying me about it, is the noise that was coming from the front fans (2x CM Jetflo fans).

If you don't know much about the case, there are two ways to mount the from fans...in front or behind of a something like a mesh (not sure if "mesh" is the correct word :) )

image.jpg

I had the fans mounted in front of the mesh and the problem was that when I put on the front panel of the case, the dust filter was so close to the fans that all the air passing trough it was making a lot of noise.

I moved the fans to the back side of the mesh. The noise it had before was gone, but there was new 10 times more annoying noise. It took me some time to locate from where exactly the noise came from, it sounded a lot like coil wine. It turns out the noise was coming from the air passing trough that metal mesh, which had really thin and sharp edges.

So since I didn't find any good reason for that mesh to even be there, I decided to cut it off.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And the noise was finally gone... well not 100% gone, but its A LOT better then before.

As you can see there are still some sharp edges around the fans, which are still making some noise when the air passes around them.  I couldn't remove them because the metal there is a lot thicker and I don't have the tools for it.

What came as a big surprise to me after removing the mesh is that the CPU temps went down by 5-6 degrees. Before I had max temps going to 71-72 degrees, now 2 weeks after the "mod" the max temp it hit was 66 degrees.

great "mod"  B)

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.